Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Value Bleach vs Clorox

Great Value Bleach vs Clorox

Is great value bleach the same concentration as clorox? I also read a post where someone was saying something about bleach being super cheap at Aldi's. Is there bleach comparable? From what I understand Clorox is 6% correct? If someone could tell me what the others are, so I could make the better choice money wise. Thanks for your help!!!
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate

Re: Great Value Bleach vs Clorox

The WalMart brand (Great Value) is also 6%, so it's the same as Clorox. I've been buying the large 182 oz jugs for around $2.54 each. Someone did also post here that Aldi's is selling bleach at a much lower cost than that even. I believe it's also 6% but have not tried it yet myself.
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Polaris 360 pool cleaner

As far as the concentration of sodium hypochlorite is concerned, 6% is 6%. So as long as the bleach is fresh, there should be no difference on that particular front.

There is a thread on here that discusses other variables between the bleach brands though I am not able to locate it right now, but there are some differences in pH from lot to lot in the other brands of bleach, much more so than in name brand Clorox. Bama Rambler has knowledge in this area I think.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

I live outside Kansas City and our Aldi currently has their bleach for $1.09 for 96 oz (reg $1.29) which makes it even cheaper than Walmart's Great Value. It states on the label that it is 6%, the problem is it only comes in the small bottles, so twice as many to dispose of.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

I just bought clorox on sale at walmart @ $7.27 for a three pack of 1.42 gal containers. Cheaper than the walmart brand I've been buying.
    14.5K gallon / IG / Plaster / DE filter / Learning to love pool maintenance! It's a work in progress...

Keep in mind that "regular" bleach is 5.25 % (normally). So a gallon of 5.25%, and a gallon of 6% is only a differance of .75 ppm per 10k gal of pool.
    I did see some "value" bleach, which was 3%... I avoided it.
    16' X 24' Wilkes Pools "Genesis", 10K Gal
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1 hp, & 18" Pro Series sand (S180T)

I have just found another 6% bleach out there in Big Lots...White Cloud Bleach.

I get mine at Sam's Club 3 132oz bottles for like 5bucks and some change. Oo and it is Clorox
    17,000 gal, IG, dark plaster, salt water
    All Jandy: 1.5hp pump, CL-460 Cartridge filters, Aquapure chlorine generator

Has anyone ever found a place to order 55 gal drum of bleach? I have been looking into it because I got tired of the abundance of jugs real quick last year. You can only come up with so many sunday school crafts using jugs, lol!

I have found a few places online but haven't contacted any yet. Wondered if anyone here had ideas as to pros and cons of this. Thanks in advance!
    25,000 gal inground 18x36 pool, vinyl liner, heat pump, sand filter, BBB method(thanks to you guys), in VA

Not personally, but likely available to commercial customers. Another option to avoid jug luging could be to use the 5gal carboys at your local pool store, filled with 12% chlorinating liquid (esentially double concentration bleach). It may be slightly more expensive, but in some cases can even be cheaper than using bleach. Other option is to use a SWG for chlorination.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

My local pool store doesn't have 5 gal carboys, but they do have gallon jugs with four to a milk-carton-style container. They reuse the bottles so there's no recycling or waste. You might check around to see if any pool store has any sort of reused or refillable container option for chlorinating liquid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

I haven't done any pricing locally but I found these 15 gallon carboys that I might start buying, unless I can find a similar amount cheaper. I think 55 is too much to have around for my needs.
    -Alex
    Outdoor Chlorine Pool/Spa (~100' from pump room):(35,000gal IG, plaster, 2 Triton TR-140 sand filters, 2 2HP pumps),(1,200gal IG, plaster, Triton TR-140, 2.5HP pump [circ.], 2 2HP pumps [jets])
    Indoor Bromine Pool/Spa:(24,000gal, plaster, Triton TR-100, 1.5HP SVRS-equipped pump),(3,200gal w/ 3 waterfalls, plaster, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 3HP pump [circ.], 3HP pump [jets])

I use Walmarts, Have had really good luck with it. sometimes in the summer they run a little short on it.. I guess TFP has gotten out!! Which is a good thing. I really like using store bought Chlorine(bleach) because you can get it at the same time your buying your groceries. One stop shopping for us..
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

I buy my bleach at Costco. $7.15 for three 182-oz jugs of 6% Clorox. I bought 9 boxes once and the checkout guy remarked, "that's a lot of bleach!" I said, "there was a lot of blood." KIDDING! As easy as the BBB method is, I'm always surprised when people raise their eyebrows when I explain I only use bleach to keep my pool sparkling blue. Lots of people that are being pool-stored.

Jill
    El Paso, Texas
    16x32 Rectangular In-Ground Pool - Plaster - Cartridge Filter - 25,000 gallons - TF100 Test Kit

Just checked my Aldi's yesterday ... $0.99 per 96 ounces. And I keep an eye on their stock levels and they seem to go through it reasonably fast (in my area). Although I have heard that half-life of bleach at the right temp. can be up to 6 years, so I am not too concerned. All in all, Aldi's bleach worked well for me last season and I will be using it again this season. Hope this helps.
    AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the BBB Method, and loving it!!

I was at Walmart yesterday and the Walmart brand bleach was 4%,not the 6% you guys have. Maybe its a USA vs Canada thing
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

just check'd mine Great value still 6%..I ? Aldi.Last year everyone was talking about it being cheaper..When to 2 Aldi store's and both stores the sale by date was out of date..So I wonder if that is why it is cheaper..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

One problem with getting bleach in 55 gallon drums is handling it. First off it is going to weigh around 450 pounds, it will also be considered Haz-Mat for transport purposes, although it should fall under 1,000 pound limit for plackarding and CDL -Hazmat license requirement. Would likely need to be delivered with lift gate truck, moved around with a drum dolly, etc. If you want something bigger than 1 gallon jugs you might try buying it from a janitorial supply company that sells bleach in 15 gallon plastic drums, I use one of these for my chlorine injection pump, photo can be seen here: download/file.php?id=6909&t=1

That particular drum is from a Spartan Chemical brand laundry program, and originally contained 12% bleach
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

I can't remember the exact #s, but I want to say GV is almost $3 per 182oz bottle and Sam's has 3 bottles of 182 Clorox for around $7. Brand name and it's cheaper? I'm buying 3 bottles at a time anyway.

oh, and of course both are 6%
    Aaron
    TFP Expert - As proven by three years of crystal clear water :D
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG / Hard plumb: Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG / Taylor K-2006 / Central IL ]