Brown spots appeared on bottom of pool

Jul 8, 2010
1st off My pool was made in heck to get back at me for all the evil mankind has done. That being said the latest torture device are brown spots that vacuum upp very easy, even passing the vacuum next to them causes them to wisp away like dust in the wind
anyone know what they are
I have a sand filter and thought maybe sand but it seams too light although I have not touched it with my hand.

some backround.

pool water has been low for weeks and I have been filtering via keeping vac hooked up and upside down at bottom of pool since water is too low to skim. too expensive to truck in water and have been trying not to tax my well too much. a rock and a hard place.

last trip to pool store spent $110 in chems was told to add and this started happening shortly after.

any ideas

signed ( praying for legislation that makes pools illegal)

here are the results from just prior to adding chems and brown spts appearing.
all instructions were done in order and at times intervals specified
Water looks fine otherwise

will need to add page 3 in seperate post due to file size

Attachments

• pg 1 v2.jpg
    pg 1 v2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 113
  • pg 2 v2.JPG
    pg 2 v2.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 113
O.K. the report is kind of hard on the eyes, but this is what I pulled from the results.
FC .6 TC .8 CC .2 You added 2 lbs of Burn Out 35. Burn Out contains lithium hypochlorite. Good news is it does not add calcium or CYA to your water. Bad news, it is the most expensive sanitizer you can buy! Since your were low on both calcium and CYA you could have used a less expensive sanitizer.
(subtract FC from TC and get CC combined chlorine)

pH 7.2 You added 1/4 lb of Lo and slow. Lo and slow is a pH reducer. Your pH was already on the low end of the acceptable range so they must have recommended it to combat the effects of the other chemicals they sold you.EDIT: Looking at the rest of the results most of what you added should have lowered pH. Please test your pH again.

TA 107 You added 7lbs Balance Pack 100. Balance Pack 100 is Sodium hydrogen carbonate otherwise known as baking soda. According to the pool calculator 7lbs of baking soda should have raised your TA by 48 ppm and raised pH by .1

CH 80 You added 6 lbs of Balance Pack 300. Balance Pack 300 is calcium chloride and according to the pool calculator should have raised your CH by 62 ppm.

CYA 20 You added 2lbs of Stabilizer 100. Stabilizer 100 is 100% Cyuranic Acid. Adding 2lbs of CYA should raise your CYA by 23 ppm and lower pH by .43

Now as for the dirt you see in the bottom of the pool, the Burn out would have killed any algae or other organic matter in the pool and the dirt you see is the dead organics that have settled to the bottom. When your pool is properly sanitized you may see dead organics in your pool from time to time. They will accumulate in low spots in the pool floor, which is why you see them in the same places. Just vacuum them up.

Since you have added these chemicals to your pool, you need to test the water again and make sure it is balanced. This time, do not buy anything until you post here first! We can save you some money!

The best thing you can do to take control of your pool is to buy a high quality test kit and do your own testing. The TF100 is a very good kit and has more of the testing chemicals than other kits in the same price range. The Taylor k2006 is also a good kit and is available online from a variety of retailers. Leslie's also sells a dpd-fas complete test kit which is the same as the Taylor k2006. Most of Leslie's stores do not keep it in stock and you have to order it online.

If you decide to buy a test kit do not let anyone sell you a kit that does not contain a dpd-fas chlorine test. Most dpd or oto test kits only test FC up to 5 ppm. This is insufficient for most pool owners.

I have just thrown a ton of information at you and may not have covered everything you wanted to know. Please post back if you have any questions and we will be happy to help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.