Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: any harm in using old trichlor pucks to increase CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

any harm in using old trichlor pucks to increase CYA?

I have low CYA in the pool - around 20 .. and was wondering if there would be any harm in using some trichlor pucks from last season (previous owner)... I'm also trying to figure out how many pucks I need to bring it up to the 40 range..
    I use bleach for everything .. and never used pucks since we moved in late last summer.

thanks so much..
    Patty
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: any harm in using old trichlor pucks to increase CYA?

You can certainly use them to raise your CYA.

Use Pool Calc to figure how many it'll take buy going to the results of adding chems section near the bottom and entering the size of the tablet and it'll give you how much one puck will raise the CYA and the FC.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Just keep an eye on your pH, since trichlor will put downward pressure on it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah.. Never noticed that last part of the pool calculator..that's perfect..thanks..
    and if it lowers pH, that's an added bonus.. i've been holding off on running the waterfall full-time b/c i feel like the pH has been inching up..

thanks so much! (as always,love this place)
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You can certainly use them to raise your CYA.

Use Pool Calc to figure how many it'll take buy going to the results of adding chems section near the bottom and entering the size of the tablet and it'll give you how much one puck will raise the CYA and the FC.
    Wow, I am glad I saw your post. I have the iPhone Pool Calc and was wondering how much CYA gets added when using dichlor. Now I know

Truth be told, I use a combination of bleach and dichlor. When the CYA needs to be raised, I start using the dichlor. (easier to use than bleach anyway).
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.