Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lost prime today

1. Back To Top    #1

lost prime today

Started running liquidator full time approx 6-21-10. Been doing great until this morning. Wife called me at work and said the pump had lost prime. She got it primed and running and I came to check it. The in float on the liquidator had stuck and let air in the system. I moved it a little and loosened the nut a little and it started working again. Is it normal for the liquidator to drain down until the floats close when the pump turns off?? It has been doing this since installed.
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lost prime today

Is it an inground of above ground pool?
    Is the LQ above or below the water line?
    Do you have both check valves installed?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

sorry ,, forgot the stats.....
    in ground pool
    liquidator above pool water level
    both check valves installed,, in valve has arrow pointing toward liquidator...... out valve has arrow pointing toward pump. I'm plugged into the pump basket drain.
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

4. Back To Top    #4

Which side stuck open? The out side?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

went to look-- the in side was stuck open this morning... i have had the pump off for 45 minutes. i marked the water line after it drained down and so far it hasn't fell any lower. It is approx 1/8 inch avove float valve housing .

6. Back To Top    #6

The check valve should have stopped it from draining out the in side. Lowering the level will open the in float valve so the check valve has to be there to prevent it from sucking air once that's happened. You may have a bad check valve. The outlet side should drain it down till the float valve shuts and seals off the outlet. That's why I guessed it was the one that stuck.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

the flow meter drains to zero on the out side then stops. I can see no water movement in the meter.
    The in float valve was definetaly sticking this morning. It drained to the point I could see bubbles starting. I loosened it a little and moved it gently and it appears to be working fine now. Why it stuck and drained down,, I have no idea. I do know that when i loosened it up a little it worked smoother,too tight maybe. It has been 1 hour 10 minutes since I turned pump off and water has not drained below my mark. I've been running 3.50 to 4 on meter ball to maintain 8-9ppm (cya of 70 at last check). using 12.5% chlorine at 1/2 full to top of funnel extension.....
    I'll watch it closely..

8. Back To Top    #8

It was probably a fleck of something in the check valve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

joel-is that with the 3/8" upgrade installed?