Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Noise? Impeller? HU?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jacksonville, Arkansas not too far from Little Rock

Pump Noise? Impeller? HU?

OK!! Need some help. Again. Pah Pah Pah Pleeeaaassseeee!!!

With the help of my 13yr old daughter, we've managed to get my pool clear in about 8 days thanks to TFP!! WE ROCK!
    NOW, just my luck, the pump doesn't seem right. I've read about the impeller and tried to get in through the housing strainer basket but can't feel anything.

Is there any way to do this otherwise? How would differentiate a bad pump to just the impeller or something that needs fixed? I would like to try what I can before I just give up and shut 'er down for the rest of the year. Arkansas is a little too hot for me to give up.

The pump is running hotter than it had before, but I still have the same pressure & return water. Kind of makes a clicking sound when I turn it off & on. Seems like its working, just doesn't sound right.

Can someone give me some suggestions? I don't want to keep running it daily and something worse happen. I don't want an ugly pool again without the water circulating though.

Thank you all in advance!
    17.5 x 28.5 16,000 GAL,/ IG Vinyl/ 18" Hayward Sand Filter w/ 1.5 HP Super Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Noise? Impeller? HU?

The clicking sound is most likely the centrifugal switch and it does that whenever you start up or shut down the pump. That's normal.
    If it's just the clicking you're hearing that's not normal I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the pump is running a lot hotter than normal. They run pretty hot especially this time of year.

You might try taking a mirror and looking into the impeller by placing it in the basket at an angle. Other than removing the pump from the basket, that's about your only option.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Jacksonville, Arkansas not too far from Little Rock

Thank you! Would it be hard to remove the pump from the basket? Would it be safe & would I mess anything up in doing so? Could I have had too much air in it before with the suction side leak I had? I think it ran about 3 weeks with the air leak, it was a small one though.
    Thank you.
    17.5 x 28.5 16,000 GAL,/ IG Vinyl/ 18" Hayward Sand Filter w/ 1.5 HP Super Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

That would make a difference in how it sounded and in how hard it was working. With the leak fixed, what you're hearing now may be perfectly normal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit