At what chlorine abuse level will the liner fade?

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
I was just wondering at what point of over-chlorination will liner fade occur? Our current CYA is at 60 and according to the Chlorine/CYA chart my minimum FC should be 5 and target of 7. Our average daily FC loss is about 5 ppm, regardless of bather load, rain, sun or any other condition. That translates to 1 1/2 to 2 jugs of bleach per day (96 ozs. jugs), every day. That means I have to bump the chlorine level up to 12 ppm to reach my target of 7 by the next day. My second-shift work schedule doesn't help. I put the bleach in at about 10:00 am because when I get off at night, the pump is off and not circulating. So I'm missing the benefit of more chlorine at night than most people. (I suppose I could set the timer for a second run at night when I get off and add the bleach, but those brewski's are calling real loud by then).
Full sun from dawn till dusk, crystal clear water thanks to BBB, daily CC .5 to 0, ph 7.6.
Just wondering at what abuse level will the liner fade and/or become brittle?

Rule #1 - If pool care interferes in any way with the consumption of brewskies, the pool should be immediatley filled in and daisies planted.

Now that we have that established, let's figure a way so you don't have to fill in your pool. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My first thought is your chlorine consumption is pretty high, 2ppm is about average, 3ppm is no big deal but anything much larger than 3ppm I would suggest an overnight FC loss test to see if you have organics in your pool you can't detect visibly.

Do the OFCLT as desribed in poolschool and report the results.

To answer your question, you can bring your FC up to shock level as described in the FC/CYA chart and have no concern of damage to your liner.

Well I just happen to be on vaca this week and was kinda putting the OFCLT off till now. I know I'm kind of getting off the thread here, but here's what happened since this morning.
10:41 am Central
FC 4.5
CC .5
TC 5.0
PH 7.6

I added 3 jugs of Aldi's 96 oz. bleach at 10:45 am.

On a whim I just took a reading.
2:45 pm
FC 8.0
CC 0.0
TC 8.0
PH 7.6

According to the Pool Calculator, by adding 3 jugs I should have bumped the FC level up to 12.5 ppm. I've been suspect of Aldi's bleach for awhile, but the date on the jugs say Dec. 12. So I'm buying fresh, but maybe not 6% fresh. ?
I'll do the OFCLT tonight and post back.

I did the overnight free chlorine loss----- and there was none.
7:41P
FC 5.5
CC .5
TC 6.0

10:05P
FC 6.0
CC .0
TC 6.0

5:35A
FC 5.5
CC .0
TC 5.5

9:50A
FC 5.0
CC .0
TC 5.0

Sunrise is 5:35, so for the next 4 hours I lost 1 ppm., but during o'dark:30, none. (I actually did 2 tests at 5:35A and one was what you see and the other identical to 10:05P.) I added 3 (96 ozs.) jugs a half hour ago and according to the pool calculator should see a good 12 ppm. Took one last test and it is 13 ppm. I guess Aldi's bleach is ok.
That's 6 jugs in 2 days! I was the only one swimming in it for this past week.

There is no deck around our pool so I walk around it and pour the chlorine in rather than in front of the return. There is no cover on it this year and full sunlight all day. Do you think that by me putting the bleach in under full sun and "broadcasting it" is somehow degrading the chlorine faster, rather than putting it in at night?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.