How often to backwash DE?

Yep, watch your gauge. Some people only backwash once a season, but others have to backwash every week or so, even without any algae problems. It just depends on the quantity and type of debris you get in your pool, and your filter size; your filter is pretty big, so I wouldn't expect you to need much backwashing.

You can see if you have pressure rise, and decreased flow from the returns. They usually occur together but if your pressure gauge is defective you may not see a pressure rise when you have decreased flow. If everything is going well then I would leave it alone.

Just fyi, if you have a true backwash setting on the filter, it will not release all of the dirty DE. You will recharge the DE after you back wash and over time the DE can build up on the grids. This will require that you open up the filter and hose off the old DE off. If you notice the time between backwashes getting shorter and shorter then DE build up is likely the problem.

Thanks for all the responses. I learn something with every post! When I do backwash, they gave me this cup from a DE bag and told me to add 10 of them (apprx 10 lbs) of DE. Is there any guideline to how much I should add?

Keep in mind it is 10 lbs by volume not by weight. The old method of measuring DE was to use a 1 lb coffee can. They now make DE scoops with the same volume as a 1lb coffee can. For a full charge add 10 scoops of DE, for a partial charge add 6-7 scoops.

I'd be willing to bet that the scoop they gave you is .75 lbs.

10 of them would = 7.5 lbs which would be right for a 60 sq ft Hayward filter, however- the Jandy DEV 60 takes 6 lbs clean :eek: I suggest checking the manual or the outside of the tank, there should be a label saying how much DE to add to a clean filter :wink:

You might find some helpful info here

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.