Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often to backwash DE?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often to backwash DE?

Any suggestions? Pool Builder says every 4-6 weeks. If my pump pressure hasn't increased, do I need to backwash?
    28K River Sand Plaster Finish - 2.5 HP Stealth Pump - Jandy 60 Sq Ft DE Filter - LAARS LT400 Natural Heater - Polaris 280 - Jandy PDA PS6 Computer Center

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often to backwash DE?

If your pressure hasn't increased and you're fairly certain that your gauge is good you don't need to backwash. There are people here that only backwash once a season.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, watch your gauge. Some people only backwash once a season, but others have to backwash every week or so, even without any algae problems. It just depends on the quantity and type of debris you get in your pool, and your filter size; your filter is pretty big, so I wouldn't expect you to need much backwashing.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

You can see if you have pressure rise, and decreased flow from the returns. They usually occur together but if your pressure gauge is defective you may not see a pressure rise when you have decreased flow. If everything is going well then I would leave it alone.

Just fyi, if you have a true backwash setting on the filter, it will not release all of the dirty DE. You will recharge the DE after you back wash and over time the DE can build up on the grids. This will require that you open up the filter and hose off the old DE off. If you notice the time between backwashes getting shorter and shorter then DE build up is likely the problem.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the responses. I learn something with every post! When I do backwash, they gave me this cup from a DE bag and told me to add 10 of them (apprx 10 lbs) of DE. Is there any guideline to how much I should add?
    28K River Sand Plaster Finish - 2.5 HP Stealth Pump - Jandy 60 Sq Ft DE Filter - LAARS LT400 Natural Heater - Polaris 280 - Jandy PDA PS6 Computer Center

6. Back To Top    #6

After normal backwashing you should add about 2/3rds to 3/4ths the initial charge amount. So if your initial recommended charge is 10lbs then you'd add 6 to 8lbs after a backwash.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep in mind it is 10 lbs by volume not by weight. The old method of measuring DE was to use a 1 lb coffee can. They now make DE scoops with the same volume as a 1lb coffee can. For a full charge add 10 scoops of DE, for a partial charge add 6-7 scoops.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd be willing to bet that the scoop they gave you is .75 lbs.

10 of them would = 7.5 lbs which would be right for a 60 sq ft Hayward filter, however- the Jandy DEV 60 takes 6 lbs clean I suggest checking the manual or the outside of the tank, there should be a label saying how much DE to add to a clean filter

You might find some helpful info here
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)