Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not Primining on AM startup

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not Primining on AM startup

I have a 10yr old IG 14x28 pool. Jaccuzi filter and pump. When I kick on the pump manually in the AM, the pump will not prime at all. I need to open up the basket, add water and bingo, pump primes and runs without issue. I have already re-thread taped the inlet to the pump and the outlet to the filter last night and had the same issue this morning. If I turn the pump off in the evening then head out to try starting, few hrs after its been off, it will prime. Seems to be a prolong period of time, overnight it will not prime itself again.

Thanks for all the info!!

18' X 33' X 4' AG Vinyal Pool of unknown parentage
    Hayward Perflex DE bump filter and Power Flo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump not Primining on AM startup

You're getting air into the system from somewhere. Have you lubed the strainer basket o-ring? Have you made sure the air bleed valve o-ring is good and the valve is tight? It could be the spider gasket leaking a little under vacuum when the pump is off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You're getting air into the system from somewhere. Have you lubed the strainer basket o-ring? Have you made sure the air bleed valve o-ring is good and the valve is tight? It could be the spider gasket leaking a little under vacuum when the pump is off.

O-Ring on the basket is good an lubed. Spider gasket? When I shut down the pump, I can see and hear the water flush out of the plumbing. There is no visible water leaks at all around the pump or pump base.
    Thanks for all the info!!

18' X 33' X 4' AG Vinyal Pool of unknown parentage
    Hayward Perflex DE bump filter and Power Flo pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I am assuming that the Jacuzzi filter is a sand filter with a multiport valve. If it has a slide valve instead, the o-rings could be the culprit.

Since you can see and hear the water it means you either have a leak somewhere or the skimmer is sucking in air and the filter is building air in it when it's running. Since it takes a long time for it to expel enough water to lose prime I suspect a leak.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit