Should i keep a higher fc then chart?

bats

Jan 7, 2010
Can i keep my fc at 8 or 9 ppm.I live in canada and we don't get that much heat and sun maybe a week or two of 90 degree temperatures.
It looks like i can keep my fc at 8 or 9 by just running my salt generator 2 hour a day.Would this not be recommended for any reason?

Thanks

Your FC needs to be set according to your CYA. Running chlorine too high for an extended period of time can shorten the life of your liner. However, before we can know if your FC is too high or not high enough, we need to know what your CYA level is. Can you post a recent set of complete test results?

Also, what % are you running the SWG to get 8-9ppm chlorine? Running the SWG at a high percentage also shortens the life of the cell.

zea3 said:
Your FC needs to be set according to your CYA. Running chlorine too high for an extended period of time can shorten the life of your liner. However, before we can know if your FC is too high or not high enough, we need to know what your CYA level is. Can you post a recent set of complete test results?

Also, what % are you running the SWG to get 8-9ppm chlorine? Running the SWG at a high percentage also shortens the life of the cell.

ph 7.3 (i'm breaking the water with my returns)
fc 12.5 (i'm aiming for 8ppm)
cc .5
ch 200
alc 80
cya 50

I run my pump 8 hours per day and run the generatore at 20% or roughly 1.5 hr per day
I live in canada(much cooler temperatures)

Noone will stop you from running at 8-9ppm instead of 4-5ppm, but it doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose to do that. The FC/CYA charts and ratios were devised to keep reasonable levels of sanitizer in the water; unless you have some constant source of organics that need to be cleaned up, the normal levels should be fine. The downside of keeping a higher level is that SWG has to work a little harder to maintain it, shortening the lifetime of the cell. And maybe your swimsuits will bleach a little faster.
--paulr

According to the pool calculator your FC target is 2-8, so keeping it at 8 should be fine, but you may find you can keep it around 4 with good results as well. You can adjust the % or the pump run time until you can keep the FC where you want it consistently. You want to make sure your pump runs long enough to turn over the water at least 1 time each day.

Usually we recommend CYA of 60-70 for SWG, but if you are not having any problems maintaining FC then your current CYA should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.