Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I finaly received my test kit amazing!!

1. Back To Top    #1

I finaly received my test kit amazing!!

I finaly bought a test kit,and wow this is going be make life so much more simple when it comes to taking care of my pool.Two days ago i went to the pool store for some tests and tell told me that my fc was at 5ppm and that my alcalinity was at 100ppm.

After testing it myself with a fas dpd i came up with a fc of 12.5 and alkalinity of 80ppm.This explains a little why my kids were complaining of red itchi eyes after spending a few hours in the pool last week.My pool must of been at fc 20.I had shocked my pool and let them in a few days later.With the pool store telling me i was at fc5 i believed them.They are not testing using fas dpd.They are just using color matching.

My salt generator was also working alot harder then it had to for nothing.I think i'll be able to bring it down to about 2 hours per day.

Thank you tfp for your great advice,and for your amazing web site .I think the big difference for me is going to be the fact that i am now using 50 ppm cya vs using 0 before.And i completly feel at piece now that i have a good test kit and i find it very percise and easy to use.

This is going to save me alot of money.Example my pool store wanted me to drain my pool because of the 50ppm cya he told me to bring it to 0
    because this was just acid eating up my heater and was going to cause me problems.He also said that my alkaliniy was at 100 when it was just at 80.
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I finaly received my test kit amazing!!

Being in control of your pool is very satisfying. It may be better to lower your SWG output, let it run for the time your pump is on for a turnover of water.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

Congrats on the good test kit

And you already know what the next question is!

Where are the numbers???
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Congrats on the good test kit

And you already know what the next question is!

Where are the numbers???
    Here they are !!
    ph 7.3 (i'm breaking water with my returns to bring it up to 7.6 )
    fc 12.5 (i'll ajust my swg to aim for 8ppm)
    cc .5
    ch 200
    alc 80
    cya 50
    I run my pump 8 hr per day and my salt generator 2 hours per day
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks pretty good. You might consider bumping the CYA up to 70 or 80 but since you're only running the SWCG 2 hours a day you may be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bats
    Example my pool store wanted me to drain my pool because of the 50ppm cya he told me to bring it to 0 because this was just acid eating up my heater and was going to cause me problems.
    Yet another nonsense pool store line! They never end and are kind of funny, but I feel bad for everyone who takes their advice...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by bats
    Example my pool store wanted me to drain my pool because of the 50ppm cya he told me to bring it to 0 because this was just acid eating up my heater and was going to cause me problems.
    Yet another nonsense pool store line! They never end and are kind of funny, but I feel bad for everyone who takes their advice...
    Meanwhile the pucks they push bring your pH down to 6 and they never say a word about them being "acid eating up your heater"

Did he happen to mention that the only way to bring your CYA to 0 would be a 100% drain?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator