Yikes! Houston, we have a problem

Jul 4, 2010
Apple Valley, California
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well, like I said, I'm just getting started with pool chemistry. Here's the results of my first test:

I only did four tests, and I don't have a FC test in my kit:

Cl = Orange (Off the scale)
pH = 7.6
TA = 170
CYA = >100 (Off the scale)

So, from what I've been reading, I probably need to drain and refill about 50% of the water, right? If that's the case, it'll have to wait until Saturday, as I don't have enough time in the evenings to do much more than water tests. Is there anything I can do in just a couple of hours in the evenings?

I probably should add that right now, I have full sunlight all day, every day, with the outside peak temps ranging between 90 to 100. Not sure what the water temp is, I don't have a water thermometer. Gotta get one.

Where should I begin?

Thanks!

I don't know where you are in California, but a lot of us are under water restrictions. My pool is sparkly despite CYA around 160. It can be done. It just means the color-matching test is out for chlorine. Soon as I get caught up on a few things, I may get R/O done. Or drain and refill if/when they lift restrictions. How does your pool look? Is it clean and clear?

Thanks for your input, Richard.

Yes, the pool water is clean and clear. And, as far as I know, I don't have any water restrictions. I'm in the 92307 zip code. There's a lot of pools in my area, but I've never heard of any water restrictions for refilling a pool, but I've never asked either. Good point, maybe I should find out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.