Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yikes! Houston, we have a problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Yikes! Houston, we have a problem

Well, like I said, I'm just getting started with pool chemistry. Here's the results of my first test:

I only did four tests, and I don't have a FC test in my kit:

Cl = Orange (Off the scale)
    pH = 7.6
    TA = 170
    CYA = >100 (Off the scale)

So, from what I've been reading, I probably need to drain and refill about 50% of the water, right? If that's the case, it'll have to wait until Saturday, as I don't have enough time in the evenings to do much more than water tests. Is there anything I can do in just a couple of hours in the evenings?

I probably should add that right now, I have full sunlight all day, every day, with the outside peak temps ranging between 90 to 100. Not sure what the water temp is, I don't have a water thermometer. Gotta get one.

Where should I begin?

Thanks!
    21,500 Gal IG plaster, free form, PAC-FAB NAUTILUS NFS-60 DE filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; TELEDYNE LAARS Series One gas heater. Hayward PoolVac V-Flex pool cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yikes! Houston, we have a problem

I would first go ahead and do that 50% drain to get your CYA down and then go from there.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know where you are in California, but a lot of us are under water restrictions. My pool is sparkly despite CYA around 160. It can be done. It just means the color-matching test is out for chlorine. Soon as I get caught up on a few things, I may get R/O done. Or drain and refill if/when they lift restrictions. How does your pool look? Is it clean and clear?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your input, Richard.

Yes, the pool water is clean and clear. And, as far as I know, I don't have any water restrictions. I'm in the 92307 zip code. There's a lot of pools in my area, but I've never heard of any water restrictions for refilling a pool, but I've never asked either. Good point, maybe I should find out.
    21,500 Gal IG plaster, free form, PAC-FAB NAUTILUS NFS-60 DE filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; TELEDYNE LAARS Series One gas heater. Hayward PoolVac V-Flex pool cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.