Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner - question

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner - question

We just set up our first pool, its a 16x3'6 intex inflatable pool with a krystal clear filter. Our only water source is our pond, we have a huge system set up in our basement completed w/ a chlorinator and two huge water tanks and 3 wall filters. I'm sure there's more but unless you need complete details I don't know off hand, that's not my department

It took us a while to get it filled up but now it is all said and done, and the water is not pretty looking.. Its a yellowish color and I'm not liking it.

The book that comes w/ the pool isn't good for details on what exactly needs to be done. I have bought some test strips and shock and chlorine sanitizing tablets. I added 1lb of the shock to the pool and added (5) 1" chlorine tablets by HTH.

I just finished doing a test strip and got the following readings

FC: 3/6
    PH: 7.5 - 7.8 (kinda right in the middle, too hard to distinguish which one)
    TA: 40
    TH: 200
    CYA: 30-50

I'm not exactly sure what all I can do or what I can add that won't throw the readings off too much to turn the water clear or at least a little more clear. I'm new to this and don't understand what exactly all the chemicals do and when its safe enough to be swim ready.

16x3'6 Intex Inflatable Pool
    Krystal Clear filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: New pool owner - question

Welcome to TFP.

Your water is reasonable. The primary issue with safety is chlorine. The important thing is that the chlorine is always above the minimum levels in the Chlorine CYA Chart

You'll want to read Pool School, and particularly Temporary Pool Guide
    and ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Before you get much further along, also note that the HTH chlorine tablets usually contain copper. You don't want that in your water!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

The test strips are only marginally better than taste-testing your water. Get a good test kit. They're compared in Pool School, where you ought to do some reading. If the pool is going to stay up all year, be careful with the tablets - they'll raise CYA to astronomical levels. If it'll get drained at the end of summer, who cares?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!