Run time of SWG

Jun 28, 2010
Chesapeake, VA
Should I leave my swg running 24/7? My filter and pump even? This is our first season owning a pool and I'm not sure if they are supposed to run all the time. :oops:
Also, I am heading out of town for about 10 days. Should I turn everything off then, or will I come back to algae? :shock:
Thanks!

Your filter/pump you only need to run in order to process the pools volume of water 1 time. So if your pump does 3000 gph you would run it 7 hours a day. And you should ALWAYS run your pump when adding chemicals to your pool.

Your SWG only needs to be run enough each day to provide enough chlorine for your pool each day. You just have to make sure that your FC level does not drop below your FC minimum according the CYA/chlorine chart. I like to keep mine above 5ppm. Every day will be different. If your pool hasnt been used and you dont have a lot of debris in your pool, you wont have to run it very long to keep the FC up due to sunlight and organic matter. If its heavily used then you will have to run it longer each day.

My SWG is intex brand and the instructions tell me 1-3 hours. Its almost a guessing game once you first start using it. But after a while you will get an idea of about how much it produces each hour and how long you need to run it. Worst case scenario read the instructions that came with yours. Should give you a time table type thing of how long to run each day!

Now since you are leaving for 10 days I would either get a friend/neighbor/family to check on your pool for ya. If that isnt an option then you could get a tablet floater thingy and get a bunch of them and throw a bunch in it. You will have to ask these guys here about what type of chlorine tabs to buy and how many to use in the pool!

But since you have a SWG, I would get my FC level to about the high side of your suggested FC level according to the CYA/chlorine chart and set your SWG to run at its suggested minimum time for your pool size each day!

Other than those suggestions I cant think of anything else other paying your local pool store to do it for ya while your gone. But not sure if thats a good idea! LOL! You know how they can be. Maybe just give them instructions to only run your SWG and adjust its timer for you each day/ every other day after testing the water!

Maybe someone else has another suggestion?

Thank you for your help!

We live out in the sticks, so we really don't have any neighbors to help look after the pool while we're gone. I talked to my pool store and they told me to keep everything running and adjust the swg to the lowest output %. I'm just nervous about something happening while we're gone. (pressure going up on filter, skimmer basket gets too full)....ugggggg!!! maybe I'll just buy the floater and tablets like you suggested. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with everything off. Anyone have a suggestion on what kind of tabs to buy?

thanks again!

Even with the tabs you still need to leave the pump running or the chlorine won't circulate properly and you could still end up with an algae problem when you come back! You could leave your cover on your pool while your gone so no debris gets in it! To be honest I am not 100% sold on the tab idea as 10 days is a long time for that! But like I said someone may have a better idea! I would probably do like I suggested and set the SWG to run at minimum like the pool store said! This way you know the pool will have enough chlorine each day! And when you get back if the chlorine level is too high then turn off the SWG for a day or two until it comes down!

Sorry about the single paragraph! Posting from my blackberry!

It's always a risk leaving the pool unattended for 10 days :(

Is there someone you could get to check the pool quickly 2x while you're gone - all they have to do is check that the pool is running, the water level is good and the filter pressure is within limits. If, God forbid!, something goes wrong, just have them kill the power to the pump and you'll have to address the issue and the algae when you get home.

Odds are that nothing will happen to the pool in your absence, but I don't recommend taking that gamble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.