Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter and pump size for 24x52 round pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter and pump size for 24x52 round pool

I was thinking a 1hp pump and around 100lb sand filter. what do you all think?
    Intex Easy set 18x48 pool
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter and pump size for 24x52 round pool

You're right on the 1hp pump and you'd be wise to make it a 2-speed. However, you're way to small on the filter. I woudn't consider less then a 300lb filter. You're talking 13,000 gallons of water to have to filter more than once a day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh ok. i would think that you wouldnt have to filter it but one time a day.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I run a 0.5hp ful rated pump and a 250lb sand filter (in my sig). Backwash about 2-3 times per season...and I run the pump for 6hrs. Your OK with 1hp, like bama said, if you get a 2 speed, if not a 0.75 regular AGP pump (uprated) or a 0.5hp full rated is more than enough.

If you go 1HP, then yes consider a 300lb filter.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Im looking at the intex sand filter. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... tid=130301.
    Its around 250 shipped brand new. I figured it would be easy to hook up to the intex ultra frame 24x52 I plan on buying and I can use it with my 18x48 easy set for now. It says its .95 hp, but i would say it is probably less. What about this one.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That's probably a 3/4hp pump. If it is it'll be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

so ok for a 24x52 pool or just for my 18x48. Only want to buy one time. lol
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

It'll be fine for either one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

cool. so let me see if Im understanding these pumps. if you have a high hp pump that isnt 2 speed you will have to have a large filter so that it can keep up with the water that inputs through it. If that is the case then why would you buy a bigger hp pump if lower is cheaper and will work. is it the fact that you will have to run it longer.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

You need a large pump if you have water features that require high flow rates, for example a waterfall or spa jets. You also need a large pump if your pool is truly huge, though this almost never comes up.

If you have a large pump, you need a large filter, even if it is a two speed pump. It will get run on high speed at some point, and the filter needs to be able to handle that.

Builders like to put in large pumps because pool buyers tend to think that larger is better (even though it isn't.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Pitman, you're correct about the high-hp pumps and large filters. There normally isn't any reason to get a big pump, unless someone has a spa or water features that require a lot of water flow. It costs more to buy, costs more to run, and doesn't provide any benefit over a smaller pump. You do have to run it longer, but it costs less to run per volume of water moved.

That being said, some people with long pools (like 20x40') with only one return at one end have found that a small pump won't circulate the water at the far end, but that won't be an issue with your round pool.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Let me see if I can break it down. You're sort of correct. If you have a large pump you need a filter to match so as not to overcome the filter. But with a small pump it's good to have a large filter for reduced head loss and greater capacity translating into reduced cleaning intervals.
    On most pools you don't need a huge flow rate unless you have some special water feature that requires it. However most pool places like to stick a huge pump on the pool.
    Most pools would be perfectly happy with a 1/2hp pump or less except for vacuuming with a suction side vacuum. That's the reason for suggesting a 2-speed pump. You run it on low speed for filtering and only need high speed for an hour or so for vacuuming etc.

To me, a 2-speed pump is the best of both worlds. You get the power when and if you need it and you get the power savings the rest of the time. A 2-speed pump moves half as much water on low speed but only uses a sixth of the power as it does on high speed.

[Wow three of us typing at the same time again.]
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

ok and seems like you all must be correct being all of you all said same thing. lol. what do you mean by a suction side vacuum. like one that uses pump for cleaning and not one that has a built in motor and doesnt use pool pump.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, a suction side vacuum hooks to the suction of the main pump and doesn't have it's on motor or pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

ok. what about this pump. im trying to find something around 300, looking for used stuff but they are hard to come by. Also woried they may not work with out a wall side skimmer or if my outlet on a intex ultra 24' will be ok for it.
    http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/ ... -5240.html
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

That looks pretty good. You might try checking Craigslist near your area to see if there are any used ones.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

been checking, but they are gone faster than I can email them. lol. I kind of just want something new so less worries. i may go with that one or the one by intex. Just the waterway 2 speed one said something about recomended for wall side skimmer. Do you think it would hurt with the intex setup and also something about needing atleast a 1in return. I dont know if the intex has a 1in or not.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I think the Intex is 1¼" openings. They may even be 1½".
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

i know my hoses are 1.5 and I have the large adjustable nozzle. it looks like a inch
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit