Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When do YOU shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

When do YOU shock?

I'm just curious and would like a range of opinions as to when you typically shock? Do you always shock after a heavy swim load or decent storm? Or do you rarely shock and just monitor your daily FC loss, and if it stays consistent you don't worry about it. Just curious?

Thanks,
    Alan

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When do YOU shock?

personally i haven't shocked in 2 years. my understanding of the bbb method, is you
    never need to shock unless you get algae or are having over night fc loss.
    24,000 gallon ig fiberglass pool
    1 hp hayward pump
    hayward sand filter (250 lb)
    madisonville, ky

3. Back To Top    #3

11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's a quote from Pool School:
    Shocking the pool will eliminate algae, combined chlorine (CC), and any other organic contamination. If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should shock the pool. Many people also like to shock the pool when the FC level falls significantly, as it often does after a major storm or large swim party. This is done even if FC doesn't get all the way to zero, just to be sure everything is all right. If you are maintaining proper FC levels there is no need to shock weekly, or on any other regular schedule.
    Most of us rarely shock our pools
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

on another note, i noticed when i went to the pool store the other day, i know many
    don't believe in the pool stores, but i live in a small town and the owners of the only
    pool store here have been at it for many years. i usually deal with the owner and he
    knows what i am doing as far as the bbb method and agrees. the truth is i can buy
    liquid chlorine and baking soda from them cheaper even than wal mart. so to the point,
    when they get summer help to do their water testing i have noticed that no matter
    what the results are, the first question they ask is when did you last shock?
    the last sample i took in tested perfect (her words), and yet she asked when did you last shock?
    when i said 2 years, she had no clue what to say as the owner and i just laughed.
    24,000 gallon ig fiberglass pool
    1 hp hayward pump
    hayward sand filter (250 lb)
    madisonville, ky

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Here's a quote from Pool School:
    Shocking the pool will eliminate algae, combined chlorine (CC), and any other organic contamination. If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should shock the pool. Many people also like to shock the pool when the FC level falls significantly, as it often does after a major storm or large swim party. This is done even if FC doesn't get all the way to zero, just to be sure everything is all right. If you are maintaining proper FC levels there is no need to shock weekly, or on any other regular schedule.
    Most of us rarely shock our pools
    Since we all know that shocking is a process and not a one time addition of product (called shock), I wouldn't consider a preemptive, one-time, purposeful rise of FC after a pool party to be "shocking". Just sayin'
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

If I find algae in the pool I will shock. But if FC has been a bit low due to lack of attention, or a big rain, or weird stuff in the pool (vultures then weird bits of tissue in the water.... eww) then I will just run the FC up a bit higher than normal and let it come back into range.

Then if FC usage is high after that, I'd either shock or take a look at the boulders around the pool and in the waterfall since they can start to get algae above the water line. A light spray of 50% bleach and some casual scrubbing will get things back to normal, though the rocks are so rough that killing all the green on then is impossible.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Pretty much as stated above - if I have a serious issue, such as when I put my new liner in this spring and had to fill instead of just topping off as usual. We have well water. Otherwise, something serious has to happen before it is necessary - just regular maintenence and testing keep it pretty well evenly normal
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by diverman57
    on another note, i noticed when i went to the pool store the other day, i know many
    don't believe in the pool stores, but i live in a small town and the owners of the only
    pool store here have been at it for many years. i usually deal with the owner and he
    knows what i am doing as far as the bbb method and agrees. the truth is i can buy
    liquid chlorine and baking soda from them cheaper even than wal mart. so to the point,
    when they get summer help to do their water testing i have noticed that no matter
    what the results are, the first question they ask is when did you last shock?
    the last sample i took in tested perfect (her words), and yet she asked when did you last shock?
    when i said 2 years, she had no clue what to say as the owner and i just laughed.
    LOL...should have asked her why?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

I haven't yet. Only been here since October. I did raise FC up a bit before we went on a trip, but it wasn't shock level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!