Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Order to add chemicals?

1. Back To Top    #1

Order to add chemicals?

Is there any particular order in which I should be adding my chemicals to start off my pool?
    I have heard that you should not add more than one at a time is this true?
    18x48 intex 5600Gal
    Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter
    1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Order to add chemicals?

Hi welcome to the site. there are some very knowledgable people on here. im sure you will have perfect water before you know it. when you say start your pool up do u mean this is brand new pool water? also what type of pool and equipment do you have... if you scroll down to the bottom of my post you will notice all of my info (in my signature).... you should do the same... to do this:

go to the home page
    click on your avatar picture (even if there isnt one)
    find the word profile and click on it
    click on edit signature
    BAM! your there. now just put in all your info and this way when people are trying to help you they dont have to keep asking what you have!!!! Good Luck!
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Welcome to TFP.

It's true that you shouldn't add more than one at a time except Cyanuric Acid. Others can be added while it's dissolving.

The order that you add all depends on what your water needs most and first. Without a good test kit you're guessing at what you really need first.

The general order is:
    1. pH first if it needs it.
    2. Chlorine if your water doesn't already have it.
    3. Stabilizer is usually added at the same time as chlorine if this is new fill water. If it's old you'll need to test to see how much is there.
    4. TA is the next thing
    5. CH is next.

4 & 5 can be swapped depending on what your numbers are.

If you have a SWCG then salt becomes #2. If it's old water you need to test for residual salt before adding any.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

This is a new fill. I had a INTEX SWCG but it was causing rust in my pool through my heating system so I have had to go back to adding chlorine directly.
    18x48 intex 5600Gal
    Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter
    1hp pump