Appreciate any help about automation

mokabb

Jun 10, 2009
Northern Philly Burbs
Would really appreciate some opinions on what type of automation would fit my needs. I've been looking at some setups, but am a bit confused about what they do and what some of the terms mean practically. I've spent most of my time looking at Goldline and Jandy, but for no particular reasons. Budget is not the major consideration, but of course I would like to spend less money than more.

For additional plumbing details... When installing my solar panels this year, I added the panels after the 3 way supply valve and only use the pool supply and not the spa supply. I added a spa bypass valve so that I can turnover the spa even when the 3 way is completely off to the spa. Also, I have intermatic timer now.

Things I would like to automate.

Mandatory:

1. Operate single main pump on predetermined times or on the fly.

2. Operate spa and heater. Hopefully, heater would not be needed for pool anymore, but could use it a couple times a year for that purpose and could be done manually if not easy to do.

3. Solar heat.

4. Salt Chorinator (not purchased yet).

5. RayVac cleaner.

6. Lights. Currently one light in pool and one in spa run from one switch.

7. Wireless remote. Smart preferable to dumb.

Optional:

1. Bubbles to spa currently on spa side air switch. Although controlling from remote would be cool, it is certainly not necessary at all, though I "might" do it if it could be done without upgrading system.

2. Lighting. Would be nice to separate lights and eventually upgrade to fancier newer lights, maybe add external lighting as well.

3. Waterfall, stereo or other cool things that I don't have or haven't thought of, but might like expansion room in distant future. I don't believe that I will need chemical control otherwise.

I know what the actuators do, but am not sure exactly what the relays do and how many I need for my needs. Does the pump need one? The lights? Bubbles? The valves? I have 5 3-ways, but think I need to control 4 valves so far (POOL/SPA return, POOL/SPA supply, SOLAR ON/OFF, RayVAc ON/OFF). Additional one is between the bottom drain and skimmer returns - I don't think that needs to be automated, right? Maybe additional valves if I ever upgrade to waterfall, etc.

Will I need to program some of the units to do what I want, or do they already know? For example to use the spa, that would mean heater on, spa supply only, return spa only, pool off, solar off, RayVac off and ideally temp control.

Thanks so much your time and for this site.

Thanks for the prompt reply. So that list should provide me with everything that I would need for current needs? and future expansion? Would the smaller one fit my current need/mandatory list?

It looks like that would be similar to the Goldline Prologic PS-8?

I was also looking at the less expensive Aqua Plus, but really don't know if it will do what I want it to do.

A couple of thoughts about my question about the relays would be appreciated also so I can understand things better.

I've been pouring through the instruction manuals of the different units the past couple of days and think I have a better understanding of the components and capacities. I wish these things were a bit more clear in the literature. I don't want to make a huge investment and then find out that it doesn't do what I want it to.

Looking at my needs, I may go ahead with the 4 systems (Easy Touch and Prologic) rather than the 8. The Intellitouch and Jandy could do it, but more $$. I can keep the blower on the air switch and keep the lights together on the same circuit and that will still leave me with 2 open relays in case I want to expand further in the future.

Both the Easy touch and prologic systems can handle my pump, spa, heater, solar, chlorinator and 4 valves, and still have 2 open relays for future expansion. But, it looks like the Prologic gives a bit more flexibility with programming than the EasyTouch system for about the same price range. At least according to the my interpretation of the operating manuals. It appears that Prologic can handle macro like instructions that then can be assigned to a button or control both on the home panel and a dumb remote. I don't think that the Easy touch can do the same thing.

For example, I want to be able to go out at night and drop my Rayvac in the pool and push one button on a remote and have the filter turn on if not already on, solar off, lights off, blower off, heater off, return and supply valves be in the "pool" position, and the Cleaner valve turn on, have it run for 2 or 3 hours and then have everything turn off again.

Another example. Push one button for spa that turns filter on, heater on, solar off, cleaner valve off, valves in spa position, lights on.

I think that only the Prologic gives me that kind of capability.

Easy Touch experts, am I wrong? Again, I appreciate any comments.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered some stuff which should be on the way. I was hoping to get some feedback from ProLogic owners before I ordered the system. Ended up with the PS4. It appears that it is the only one that I looked at that has Macro capability that then can be assigned to one button on the panel or the remote. It sounds as though people here are satisfied with the Hayward approach to solar and SWG, so hopefully I got a good all-around system. The "tech expert" at the store that I spoke to did not like it as much, but I'm not sure that he is aware of all the functionality. I'll update it after it arrives and it is setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.