Talcum Powder

Jul 24, 2009
Mission Viejo, CA
Hello all,

It is pool season again and I am back. It is decided that we're only going to have the pool up July-September every year since that is when people would be using it, and we don't really feel like having to care for a pool we're not using the other 9 months.

Anyway, when I packaged up my pool at the end of the season last year, it said to use talcum/baby powder on the liner to keep it dry while in storage. So this year when I set it up, I did not think it was necessary to wash out the talcum power before filling it because I figured the pump filter and chemicals would clean it out. However this does not seem to be the case; the water will be clear after running the pump for the 4.5 hours, but as soon as people are swimming the water becomes cloudy again which I suspect is the talcum power getting stirred up from the bottom. The pool has been up for 2 weeks at this point.

Any suggestions for filtering out whatever is causing the water to become cloudy? Do they make finer filters for the pump I have?

Posting a full set of test results is about the only way to keep from simply guessing at the problem. If you are positive that is the cause, continued filtration is the only way I can think to remove it.

"Fine" doesn't tell us anything. Everyone has a different definition of what "fine" is, and we have no way of guessing what yours is. If you post a full set of test results it is very likely we will see something in the numbers that can help your problem.

i have the same problem with the talcum powder and i assume you will need to vaccumn it out as soon as you get pool up (before you add salt if using a salt water system) it seems to go through alot of filters with my pool. it has been 2 months and still getting it out. i am gone alot so it is hard for me to get it out without help from others. if you will use panty hose on the end of your vaccumn it will hold the small particles and get it out along with sand. hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.