Getting frustrated....

Jul 6, 2010
Hi, I posted yesterday in regards to my intex easy set pool 10ft. I currently only have the test strips to use until the next time we head shopping. I added Bleach last night, according to the pool calculator I only needed to add 7 oz.... However the test strip is still showing no free chlorine, I realize that this is not the most effective method of testing...but it is all I have for now:(
My question is, do I shock the heck out of my pool to bring the free chlorine levels up. According to the pool calculator I need to add 23 oz of bleach to do this...any input would be greatly appreciated! Also does anyone know if HTH sock-it contains a stabilizer or do I need to pick that up as well?
Thank-you for all your help in advance:)

I believe the HTH Shock is calhypo and does not contain stabilizer. What is the active ingredient? Your issue can be related to many issues, but is most likely driven by a lack of CYA...although I'm really guessing and part of the reason you find yourself frustrated (w/o a test kit, you don;t know what's going on with your water) Rather tan wasting money on chems may not need, at a minimum you should get the 6way HTH drop based kit from Walmart or invest in a TF50/TF100 kit from TFtestkits.net. It will help you take control of the situation.

Shocking will bring your levels up and if you have no stabilizer in the water it will quickly burn off. You need to be sure you have stabilizer in your water. If you don't, add it.

I am 99.9% sure sock it has no stabilizer. Look on the ingerdients list. If it says cyanuric acid then it does. If not (which I suspect) it doesn't.

Cal-hypo products such as Sock-it do not contain stabilizer. You will need to buy it separately and add it at least 30 minutes before or after the Sock-it. Put the CYA in a sock and hang it in front of a return with the pump on and let it dissolve. Do not put the Sock-it in the sock with the CYA! Unpleasant things will happen!

Thank-you all...I checked the bottle and no Sock-it it does not contain stabilizer. I called the pool place and they think I am insane for adding bleach to my pool..LOL. They have informed me that I need to bring a water sample in and to purchase liquid stabilizer for $36.00 for a bottle and liquid chlorine for starters. My plan is to head to Canadian tire where they have stabilizer for 10.99 and keep adding my bleach. First I am going to add the stabilizer, then shock it with the bleach...Thanks again all

Too funny dmanb2b.... I am on my way to increased chlorine levels:) YAY....and to make things sweeter, I sent my hubby to Canadian tire and he brought me home a drop test...now we are a sailing:)
Thank-you again everyone for your help and advice everyone:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.