Opinions on Solar Reel

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I purchased a reel similar to the one in the second link you posted. Not exactly the same, but very close. Bought it and the cover from the same store. It has worked really well. My wife and grandsons have no problem getting it off for swimming. Even our neighbor who comes over with her kids sometimes was able to remove and replace the cover with no training!

We have a Rocky's Reel. I like the look of these other reels, but I'm wondering how they're locked into place. Our first reel (from a pool store) just had a lock on the casters, which didn't work very well when you're trying to roll up a large solar cover. The Rocky's reel has screw attachments that screw into holes you drill into the pool decking.

The other thing I notice is that the two reels above have wheels just on one side. It looks like you maneuver the reel by lifting the non-wheeled end and then pushing the entire reel. No biggie if you're not planning on moving the reel out of the way frequently. The Rocky's model uses casters on both sides of the reel, no lifting called for.

balagon said:
We have a Rocky's Reel. I like the look of these other reels, but I'm wondering how they're locked into place. Our first reel (from a pool store) just had a lock on the casters, which didn't work very well when you're trying to roll up a large solar cover. The Rocky's reel has screw attachments that screw into holes you drill into the pool decking.

The other thing I notice is that the two reels above have wheels just on one side. It looks like you maneuver the reel by lifting the non-wheeled end and then pushing the entire reel. No biggie if you're not planning on moving the reel out of the way frequently. The Rocky's model uses casters on both sides of the reel, no lifting called for.

I went ahead and purchased the second one.
I thought about your comments prior to my purchase. I think I am able to come up with a homemade solution to those if there is a need for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.