Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opinions on Solar Reel

1. Back To Top    #1

Opinions on Solar Reel

Since this is my first time purchasing a solar cover reel I was looking to get some opinions on the following two reels.
    Main reason for buying is so my wife can remove the cover by herself during the day to swim.

Stainless Steel Solar Reel
    http://www.solarcovers.com/cgi-bin/s...tem_reels.html

Presto Stainless Steel Cover Reel
    http://www.solarcovers.com/cgi-bin/s...tem_reels.html
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opinions on Solar Reel

I purchased a reel similar to the one in the second link you posted. Not exactly the same, but very close. Bought it and the cover from the same store. It has worked really well. My wife and grandsons have no problem getting it off for swimming. Even our neighbor who comes over with her kids sometimes was able to remove and replace the cover with no training!

3. Back To Top    #3

Rocky's Reel. Best one made.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

We have a Rocky's Reel. I like the look of these other reels, but I'm wondering how they're locked into place. Our first reel (from a pool store) just had a lock on the casters, which didn't work very well when you're trying to roll up a large solar cover. The Rocky's reel has screw attachments that screw into holes you drill into the pool decking.

The other thing I notice is that the two reels above have wheels just on one side. It looks like you maneuver the reel by lifting the non-wheeled end and then pushing the entire reel. No biggie if you're not planning on moving the reel out of the way frequently. The Rocky's model uses casters on both sides of the reel, no lifting called for.
    25k 20x40 oval white plaster with overflow spa
    DE filter
    Aquabot T2

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by balagon
    We have a Rocky's Reel. I like the look of these other reels, but I'm wondering how they're locked into place. Our first reel (from a pool store) just had a lock on the casters, which didn't work very well when you're trying to roll up a large solar cover. The Rocky's reel has screw attachments that screw into holes you drill into the pool decking.

The other thing I notice is that the two reels above have wheels just on one side. It looks like you maneuver the reel by lifting the non-wheeled end and then pushing the entire reel. No biggie if you're not planning on moving the reel out of the way frequently. The Rocky's model uses casters on both sides of the reel, no lifting called for.
    I went ahead and purchased the second one.
    I thought about your comments prior to my purchase. I think I am able to come up with a homemade solution to those if there is a need for it.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit