Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So how sturdy is a metal above ground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

So how sturdy is a metal above ground pool?

My kids like to jump up and down and make waves in the water. Hubby is worried this is going to take down the pool, I guess. They also tend to kind of push off the wall when swimming underwater which actually makes me nervous too. But then I think about all the pools I've seen where there were a bunch of teens in them or adults doing all kinds of jumping around. My kids are 11, 13 and 14 but not really wild like..well like some teens I used to know. How much can these pools really take? There's a picture of it in the link in my signature.
    AG pool 18 x 52 (~8300 gallons)
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    pictures of our pool and equipment

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So how sturdy is a metal above ground pool?

You would be surprised at how much they can take. The biggest concern is the top rail - even though they are quite sturdy and some dealers will advertise that you can sit or stand on them it doesn't mean you should. They really aren't intended for sitting or standing on. Other than that, they are generally darned tough - just look at some that have been around for 30 years. We regularly have 6-10 teens in ours.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Probably depends on the pool -- materials plus construction.

Mine is one of the older ones but it's heavy-duty steel. The top rail is clearly the weak point in this pool as well.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just keep them OFF the top rail and let them have fun. Make it a LAW---not a rule. Make them responsible for THEIR pool with their friends too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep seems like if there is gonna be damage its the "friends". Its not their house/pool so don't care. If we know which one is the wrecking ball, they get banned.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!