Newbe added way too much chlorine/shock

Jul 6, 2010
Hi,

I have a 10 ft Intex pool which holds ~1,000 gal. I picked up a pound of Aqua Chem shock treatment. I don't know how I did it but I miss-read the instructions and I put in the whole pound of shock treatment which is supposed to be good for 12,000 gallons. I did a PH strip test today and the chlorine seems to be very high. I am very new to this stuff and I'm not sure what to do. I read if you leave the cover off the pool the sun helps burn away some of the chlorine. Should I do that for a few days and retest or should I drain some of the water? Any other ideas?

Thank you!
Travis

If I am correct, that is dichlor, one pound of which will raise your FC 66 ppm and your CYA 60 ppm. If it were me, I probably drain it and start over since this is just a 1000 gallon pool. You could also drain part of it to keep some of the CYA, refill it again, and just leave the cover off to burn away some of the FC. Up to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.