Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbe added way too much chlorine/shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbe added way too much chlorine/shock

Hi,

I have a 10 ft Intex pool which holds ~1,000 gal. I picked up a pound of Aqua Chem shock treatment. I don't know how I did it but I miss-read the instructions and I put in the whole pound of shock treatment which is supposed to be good for 12,000 gallons. I did a PH strip test today and the chlorine seems to be very high. I am very new to this stuff and I'm not sure what to do. I read if you leave the cover off the pool the sun helps burn away some of the chlorine. Should I do that for a few days and retest or should I drain some of the water? Any other ideas?

Thank you!
    Travis

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbe added way too much chlorine/shock

THAT much chlorine ain't gonna be good for that vinyl pool. I'd drain if it was mine.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't worry about it....It will come down....
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I read wrong too...I think That is a little too much for 1000 gal's..It will come down..But,it may take a while....
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If I am correct, that is dichlor, one pound of which will raise your FC 66 ppm and your CYA 60 ppm. If it were me, I probably drain it and start over since this is just a 1000 gallon pool. You could also drain part of it to keep some of the CYA, refill it again, and just leave the cover off to burn away some of the FC. Up to you.