Pump Recommendation Thread #4927

dvanburen

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2010
Orlando, FL
First time poster, but I think I have done most of my homework. I would really appreciate any advice some of the more experienced members may have.

I am preparing to have my pool renovated (Resurface, Deck, all new Equipment). I have a 25K gallon IGP (16x32), 1.5" pipe all around. The installer (or renovator) wanted to sell me a single speed 1.5HP hayward. Even though our power is not overpriced here (yet) I want to save money where I can. I asked him for a two speed pump, and he seemed amused, but gave me a quote nonetheless for a 1.5HP (Max, 1.875 SFHP) Northstar 2 speed. I still think this may be overkill looking at the flow charts as I have a very simple setup with only short runs to and from the pool. I will outline the setup below:

* One 1.5" intake roughly 10 feet from the skimmer. The main is looped through the skimmer, I assume I have to connect a hose between the two ports to pull from the main, though I have not tested this.
* Pump, yet to be determined
* Cartridge filter, most likely Hayward StarClear Plus C17502
* 1.5" return to pool, 20 feet to the furthest outlet (2 outlets total)

My goal is to run the pump at low speed for most of the day to save money. I don't think my setup will have much TDH at low speed. Does this Northstar 1.5HP 2 speed make sense, or would something like a Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-3 (3/4HP Full, 1.25 SFHP) be a better fit? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for reading :)

Edit: Does anyone have anywhere online they can recommend to buy the Whisperflo WFDS-3/24?

I got the same kind of reaction from one of the PB's that bid on our pool, like I'm wasting my time and money getting a 2 speed or variable flow model. He quoted a 1 1/2 HP pump for 12K IG with about 20-30 foot run. He seemed to either not know or not care about the energy consumption nor did he understand the efficiencies of using larger diameter plumbing.

Other's can get more specific, but after reading several threads, I've believe that low HP and low speed for longer periods with a large pipes are the way to go. So be persistant despite your contractors lack of knowledge. We are going to use a Pentair Variable Flow pump.

BTW, that PB that quoted the single speed is not the one we went with!

Kelly

Thanks for the input. I'd go with a variable flow pump but I don't think I will be here but for a few more years. I think it's amazing that some of these companies that have done this for years either don't know or don't care about saving money in the long run. You would think they could upsell the more expensive pumps. Maybe there isn't as much profit in them.

This pool is a mess right now :p I'll post a pic of the current pump/filter setup (1970?) that I have to deal with. I don't think it's run in 5 years or so.

I'm leaning towards the smaller Pentair, but I will have to switch over the pump voltage to 110 from 220. It should be fairly simple to do at the breaker box.

A 1 1/2 HP two speed pump run on low is more efficient than a smaller single speed pump. Of course a 1 HP two speed pump is better still, or even better a 3/4 HP two speed (though 3/4 HP two speeds are noticeably more difficult to find). The TriStar SP32102EE 1 HP two speed is probably the best available choice from Hayward. It costs a little more up front, but saves you money every month for the life of the pump.

I'm tickled to death with the pentair WFDS-3 (by the way, check the service factor you listed for this pump in your post, I believe it's 1.67ish). I have a 21,200 IG and on low it turns my pool over more than twice in 24 hrs. Great pump, and plenty of flow/suction on high for vacuuming, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to see if the builder can get the pentair 2 speed.

The SF is indeed 1.67, for 1.25 SFHP total.

Separate but related question. Are the WFDS-3 (3/4 Full Rated, 1.25 SFHP) and WFDS-24 (1HP Max, 1.25 SFHP) identical? Unfortunately the online manual doesn't list them in the parts break out, but the WFDS-4/WFDS-26 are the same (Both motor and impeller) so I suspect these are as well.

JasonLion said:
A 1 1/2 HP two speed pump run on low is more efficient than a smaller single speed pump. Of course a 1 HP two speed pump is better still, or even better a 3/4 HP two speed (though 3/4 HP two speeds are noticeably more difficult to find). The TriStar SP32102EE 1 HP two speed is probably the best available choice from Hayward. It costs a little more up front, but saves you money every month for the life of the pump.

That TriStar SP32102EE was originally on my list, but the builder is extremely reluctant to use one citing issues with the impeller. I don't know how true this is, but I could always insist. How would you rate this compared to the Pentair WhisperFlo 2 speed 3/4 or 1 HP pumps?

Here are some pics of the current pump/filter setup, for your amusement. This is my Mother in Laws house, and at some point my wifes Uncle rigged it using some unconventional materials. Since then the dog has found the rubber hose to be quite appetizing! I think the pump is original (1970).

[attachment=2:1ha1ygzr]DSC_6949S.JPG[/attachment:1ha1ygzr]
[attachment=1:1ha1ygzr]DSC_6950S.JPG[/attachment:1ha1ygzr]
[attachment=0:1ha1ygzr]DSC_6951S.JPG[/attachment:1ha1ygzr]

Attachments

• DSC_6949S.JPG
    DSC_6949S.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_6950S.JPG
    DSC_6950S.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_6951S.JPG
    DSC_6951S.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 172
Personally I prefer Pentair. Also, the WhisperFlo family has higher energy efficiency ratings than nearly all other fixed speed pumps, certainly than all of the ones that have been mentioned so far.

Well, the builder claims he cannot get Pentair pumps, with some excuse about reliability. He did get a price on a TriStar 1HP, but it's so silly I won't even post it. Let's just say I could almost buy an Intelliflo. I've decided to source the pump (WFDS-3/24) myself. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy online? I'm in Florida, so I suppose the closer the better as far as shipping goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I forget the model number but pentair did have that new pump with the control planel on top to control energy consumption. I usually sell 1 hp hayward superpumps for most situations. But you should get what you want.

X-PertPool said:
I forget the model number but pentair did have that new pump with the control planel on top to control energy consumption. I usually sell 1 hp hayward superpumps for most situations. But you should get what you want.

Kevin, are you thinking of the Pentair Intelliflo pumps? They are variable speed, and have three models, VF, VS3050,and VS3050+SVRS.

Jeff

dvanburen said:
Separate but related question. Are the WFDS-3 (3/4 Full Rated, 1.25 SFHP) and WFDS-24 (1HP Max, 1.25 SFHP) identical? Unfortunately the online manual doesn't list them in the parts break out, but the WFDS-4/WFDS-26 are the same (Both motor and impeller) so I suspect these are as well.

Yes, they are identical. Same head curve and energy use. The only difference is the label on the motor.

JasonLion said:
Try Pool Parts Online. They have them on sale right now, and have fairly good reviews.
That's a good price, thank you.

mas985 said:
Yes, they are identical. Same head curve and energy use. The only difference is the label on the motor.
I guess I'll go for the less expensive one then. I wonder why they charge more for the 3/4 Full rate.

Rangeball said:
Avoid swimmingpoolsetc.com like the plague.
Duly noted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.