First time cleaning filter questions

linda1

Mar 26, 2010
Western Pa.
We think it is time to clean the filter but, with our simple set-up I don't see any shut off valves and the filter is lower than the pool return and skimmer. How do we keep the water from draining out while we clean the filter? Being the first time, I'm sure it will take us longer than most people.

That's an interesting question------wish I had an interesting answer! If worse comes to worse, you can always drain it to the bottom of the skimmer and stick a "cork" of some kind or a screw in plug in the return eyeball I guess. Please somebody give us a better answer!

I was thinking along those lines, sort of. I was actually wondering if some threaded PVC plugs could be found to plug the returns and skimmer drains temporarily.

If you have flexible hoses, you can just pull them off the pump/filter and tie them to the pool wall with the ends above the water line. You lose a few gallons going back and forth but it works.

Long-term, you would want to get threaded plugs or rubber expansion plugs for convenience.

Durk said:
If you have flexible hoses, you can just pull them off the pump/filter and tie them to the pool wall with the ends above the water line. You lose a few gallons going back and forth but it works.

Long-term, you would want to get threaded plugs or rubber expansion plugs for convenience.

This sounds feasible. We have flexible hose connected to pvc pipe that runs to the pump and filter.
original.jpg

original.jpg

First off, buy a Plug at the pool store.. Around $3.00. For the Skimmer, buy a skimmer plate (Dont know the actually name for it). Its a plate with a rubber gasket that goes in front of the skimmer for the winter time..

After you plug it, install the shut off valves but there are some cheap ones out there (Even though there expensive in price) that are useless and the handles break. I got my valves at HD.

As said, 2 SP 1022-C 1.5" winterizing plugs will seal the return and the skimmer (save the Aquadoor for the fall when you winterize - you need to drain the water below the skimmer and replace the faceplate to install one :wink: )

Have fun cleaning the filter, don't get too wet :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.