Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time cleaning filter questions

1. Back To Top    #1

First time cleaning filter questions

We think it is time to clean the filter but, with our simple set-up I don't see any shut off valves and the filter is lower than the pool return and skimmer. How do we keep the water from draining out while we clean the filter? Being the first time, I'm sure it will take us longer than most people.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time cleaning filter questions

That's an interesting question------wish I had an interesting answer! If worse comes to worse, you can always drain it to the bottom of the skimmer and stick a "cork" of some kind or a screw in plug in the return eyeball I guess. Please somebody give us a better answer!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was thinking along those lines, sort of. I was actually wondering if some threaded PVC plugs could be found to plug the returns and skimmer drains temporarily.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have flexible hoses, you can just pull them off the pump/filter and tie them to the pool wall with the ends above the water line. You lose a few gallons going back and forth but it works.

Long-term, you would want to get threaded plugs or rubber expansion plugs for convenience.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    If you have flexible hoses, you can just pull them off the pump/filter and tie them to the pool wall with the ends above the water line. You lose a few gallons going back and forth but it works.

Long-term, you would want to get threaded plugs or rubber expansion plugs for convenience.
    This sounds feasible. We have flexible hose connected to pvc pipe that runs to the pump and filter.

30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

First off, buy a Plug at the pool store.. Around $3.00. For the Skimmer, buy a skimmer plate (Dont know the actually name for it). Its a plate with a rubber gasket that goes in front of the skimmer for the winter time..

After you plug it, install the shut off valves but there are some cheap ones out there (Even though there expensive in price) that are useless and the handles break. I got my valves at HD.
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would replace the flexible hose coming off the pool with hard PVC and put valves on them. It seems strange that there is pvc in ground and hose on top!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Question.. Who wired that.. LOL..
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

9. Back To Top    #9

As said, 2 SP 1022-C 1.5" winterizing plugs will seal the return and the skimmer (save the Aquadoor for the fall when you winterize - you need to drain the water below the skimmer and replace the faceplate to install one )

Have fun cleaning the filter, don't get too wet
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the advice. Cleaned the filter today and other than a little water everywhere, it went well! We definitely will be redoing the plumbing and adding some shut off valves.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkmaster
    Question.. Who wired that.. LOL..
    That would be my DH. He had to run the wiring in a hurry for the installers and then never finished. I asked if we should turn everything off when getting in the water!!! He didn't laugh!