Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP Installed - Potential Moat

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Installed - Potential Moat

Well got my AGP installed today and it is filling as I type. The bad news is they had to dig about a foot down near my deck which means I have a foot drop in elevation from the marble chips under my deck to the pool bottom on one side of the pool. What are my options here? I was thinking about taking out more dirt and building a little retain wall.

How far can I back fill with dirt or stone from the bottom of the pool?

Did anyone else on the forum have this issue? If so what did you do?

Thanks

Ben

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Installed - Potential Moat

Do NOT backfill against the pool with stone! Check your warranty-------a lot of companies allow burying up to 2 feet. Mine is! Mostly red clay here. Your installer should have done that for you with what came out of the hole I'd think. Yeah...........it's gonna sink!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the same problem. Had 12 inches removed on one side to level the ground. After two e-mails to the pool company asking how to handle this, I still don't have an answer. I haven't been able to find any warranty information. The installers hauled all the boxes etc. away, even the booklets on all the equipment.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

4. Back To Top    #4

Ihave 2 ft drop on oneside look's like mine did..I just took a shovel and dug down the drop off to level it down a little then planted grass back..Been like that for 11 yrs and never had a problem..No rust when I did the liner this year......
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Started to dig one half of the pool tonight to make a little over 3' walk way. On the other half of the pool it is level with the ground. Going to buy some pavers and space them so I can walk around the pool and fill in between with some type of rock. I will need to build a small wall at some point however I am taking it a step at a time. I am in Western PA also and it has been in the mid 90"s. I am going to build a little cove around the outside of the pool with dirt. I have some landscaping fabic that I am going to put against the pool before the dirt goes on. Hopefully this will do for now, I just want to get the dirt covered before it rains.

6. Back To Top    #6

Linda, who put in your pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same problem. We jammed a lot of pool into not a lot of yard! I too am looking for some ideas of how to prevent the rain water from accumulating around the one side of the pool. I like the paver idea but don't think it will be enough. Obviously by the picture you can see I still have a great deal of work to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~21 ft Round
    ~52 inches high
    ~11,500 Gallons
    ~Hayward EC50 DE Filter and a 1hp pump. Flow Rate of 50 GPM

8. Back To Top    #8

my installer told me that i could back fill dirt up to 18", so i have a slight difference in levels. then a friend told me that i should have the ground sloping away from the pool so not to have water puddle and wash under the pool - which of course would put me over 18". ??????????????? now i'm at a loss.
    24' x 52" AGP Garden Leisure, 13500 gal, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump/sand filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

i put plastic roll out sheet in the dug out area of mine then put a corrugated pipe in with rocks covering it.
    Then backfilled the area with mulch.
    water drains to the backside of pool.

K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

10. Back To Top    #10

I like the plastic idea, now I am thinking about sand instead of the dirt. The way I figure if the filled the inside with sand then why not the outside?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by beniman74
    Linda, who put in your pool?
    Seven Seas Home Leisure Center in Clarion,Pa. They did a great job, very nice and friendly, but as a new pool owner, left me with lots of unanswered questions.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

12. Back To Top    #12

Raining cats and dogs here, I got my moat. I have a few inches of water against the side of the pool. Should I be worried? I have to go and get that corrugated pipe. I dug out about a 3 foot wide path to level everything out however I did not get a chance to finish. This cant be good.

13. Back To Top    #13

I've got the exact same problem. My entire bottom track on the low side of the pool is covered in standing rain water. I will dig a trench as soon as the rain stops and bury dain pipe. Any idea how far down the pipe should be?
    ~21 ft Round
    ~52 inches high
    ~11,500 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

Can anyone post pictures of the trench they dug? Curious to know how you plan on piping it out if the ground is sloping towards the pool
    24' Round AG Sharkline Infinity, 15K
    Hayward EC50 DE filter 3000GPH, Hayward Pro Matrix 1hp
    Pool Rover , Aqua Trol SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

I ran the corrugated pipe and refilled the 3' trench that I dug out with dirt backfilling a little over a foot in the on one side of the pool. Hopefully I will be ok for the next 12-15 years however I am worried about rust since it is a steel wall however the bottom track is resin.
    I placed rock on top of the dirt with some stepping stones around the pool. Rained hard tonight and it seems like the drainage pipe is working.

16. Back To Top    #16

A friend of mine recently replaced a pool that was half buried. After 20 years, the sidewalls had begin to rust through. Ironically, the holes were all ABOVE ground. The buried part of the wall was in much better shape, a little surface rust but no holes. That convinced me that partial burial isn't such a bad thing, and some dirt against the side of your pool is nothing to worry about. The greater threat is cove washout, not rust.

As for pool warranties, anything that hasn't failed in the first couple months probably won't fail for years, and by then the warranty is generally prorated to such an extent that it isn't worth much anyway. Labor will be your biggest expense and that won't be covered by any pool warranty.
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

17. Back To Top    #17

Did you slope the dirt down towards your trench or did you just dig the trench at the lowest point
    24' Round AG Sharkline Infinity, 15K
    Hayward EC50 DE filter 3000GPH, Hayward Pro Matrix 1hp
    Pool Rover , Aqua Trol SWG

18. Back To Top    #18

I sloped the trench by filling the dirt at an angle against the pool. Only about half of the pool is backfilled, the other half is on level ground (had about a foot slope when they started digging)

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by beniman74
    I sloped the trench by filling the dirt at an angle against the pool. Only about half of the pool is backfilled, the other half is on level ground (had about a foot slope when they started digging)
    Can you possibly post a pic of what you did? It sounds like our problems are identical and I am digging my trenches tomorrow. Thanks.
    ~21 ft Round
    ~52 inches high
    ~11,500 Gallons

20. Back To Top    #20

I would like to see a picture of that also. We are having the same problem.