Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spare Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Spare Motor

I am looking to buy a spare motor for my pump or should I get a new pump and motor together?

I want the most efficient 2 speed motor (i believe it's the AO Smith B2983). This motor is around $305.

I currently have the Waterway SVL56. Is this a decent pump or is this the time to get pump/motor.

If I do the pump/motor I don't know that the pump manufacturers states the motor they are using?
    16,000 Plaster/Gunite - Pentair FNS Plus Fiberglass D.E. Filter
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump Z375HP- Hayward Pro Logic PL-P4 Automation
    Hayward Chlorinator Cell T-CELL-9 - Waterway SVL5 Pump
    A.O. Smith Two Speed Motor B983 - Solar Blanket - Polaris 380
    Test Kit K-2006c

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spare Motor

The big qestion is why do you think you need to have a spare motor?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

So when my current one dies I have a speedy replacement. My last motor only lasted two seasons and died on a saturday night before a big party. I had to scramble to find a replacement.
    Test Kit K-2006c

4. Back To Top    #4

If that's the reason I'd buy an entire pump. Next time it might be the wet end that goes out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thats what I did and now have a spare on hand in case this 2 yr old pump or when this 2 yr old pump goes out. Then its just a matter of swapping the pumps out. Everything happens on a weekend when nobody is open. Never fails including when I go farming to my family farm here in ND. Drives me nuts!
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

6. Back To Top    #6

A complete pump and motor is easier to swap in a hurry than individual pieces, just make sure you test it before you place it into storage to make sure it works before the warranty runs out while it sits.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

7. Back To Top    #7

Any opinions on Waterway Pumps? I am thinking of just getting some spare parts (impeller, what really goes bad on a pump, really no other moving parts but the seals) and keeping this pump.

I want the AO Smith B2983 motor and can't find a pump that comes with this motor. From what I can tell this motor is the most efficient.
    Test Kit K-2006c

8. Back To Top    #8

The B2983 motor is sold as a more efficient motor because it is a capacitor start capacitor run motor but several pumps have this setup. Also, PSC motors are nearly as efficient. If you are interested in looking at actual measured efficiencies, I would focus the California Energy Commission database. It is the most comprehensive data available. In my sig, there is a link to a Pool Pump Energy Cost Comparison worksheet they will show the estimate energy use for various conditions based upon the CEC data.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater