Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 101 uses for a swimming pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA

101 uses for a swimming pool?

Just returned from vacation on Saturday and have spent the past few days in BBF (Bleach,Brush, Filter) to evict the algae that squatted in our pool during our absence. I've definitely spent way more time *around* the pool than actually *in* the pool thus far this year (although much less "around" time than in years prior to joining this forum) so I thought I'd see what *other* uses folks have for their pools besides swimming. A few things ours has been used for include:

1. Beverage cooler - when hubby is doing yard work in the pool area (including digging a drainage trench or installing drip irrigation tubing), he'll partially submerge his 1-liter Nalgene of dilute gatorade on the pool steps so it stays cooler.

2. Rodent catcher - our pool has caught more rodents (maybe one or two mice or voles per year - I think they figured that the bubble cover was a good place to hide out from a local owl) than our cat has.

friends of ours refer to their pool as "the earthquake water supply"

any other ideas?
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: 101 uses for a swimming pool?

It's definitely a GK magnet! They spend way more time in it than we do!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

i call mine the "bug catcher". its been so dry around here the only place to get water from is my pool... im willing to share but some never make it back!!! gone to the skimmer
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

4. Back To Top    #4

Vero Beach, FL

My uncle now calls his "the vegetable garden" since he filled it in years ago and plants his garden there.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine is a bird attractor. They really like to take baths in the upper levels of the waterfall when it is not on. Doves and cardinals, mostly, occasionally a Carolina wren or titmouse. And, then there were the vultures.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

North Central Texas

Window blinds washing. (not often - no soap)

Big blue doggie water bowl.

Doggie daily baths. (They deposit so much dust, silt, sand in pool many times a day, after playing in our "dust bowl", rolling around in it, and digging in moist dirt, what little dirt that comes off me doesn't count. )

Summertime bathtub, for me, with scrubby gloves and Dr. Meyer's almond soap for body and hair. (only a couple times a week - almond castile soap is much less stress on water balance than sun lotions)

Foot bath; no soap but stiff brush. (often)

Cool-er-off-er several times a day when working outside in 90-100+ temps. (I wear little, light weight, rayon dresses all summer, that stay damp for cooling in heat, but without being heavy - dry pretty fast.)

BTW- Pool stays clean and sanitary because I keep on top of it. Pump runs 21/7 with suction cleaner and/or Aquabot running several hours a day. Big 80 sq ft filter cleaned every 7-10 days. Pool Skim catches most of doggie hair and a lot of dust, all bugs.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine