Many small holes in liner?

Apr 27, 2010
The good news... Thanks to TFP my water looks great!

The bad news... The water is running out as fast as I can put it in.
It took me some time to locate the leaks, grass on backside of pool hiding standing water :hammer: . DH found some small holes in area of the standing water and patched them. Next day same water loss, same standing water, found more holes, patched them. Day 2, the original area of standing water is dry, but a new area of visible water on outside of pool, found more holes and patched them. Today, same water loss, original area (that was dry yesterday) is now standing water again. I have not been in the pool to search the original area yet, waiting on DH for help. Would I be crazy to suspect some kind of bugs underneath the pool causing this? These holes seem to be popping up as fast as we can patch them.

Sorry, I thought I had that set in the signature, but it did not work, I will try again.

16X32 AGP kayak, approx. 28 years old. The pool wals were rebuilt and a new liner intalled 4 years ago.

oldkayak said:
Sorry, I thought I had that set in the signature, but it did not work, I will try again.

16X32 AGP kayak, approx. 28 years old. The pool wals were rebuilt and a new liner intalled 4 years ago.

Let's look at some obvious questions first. Are the holes on the sides or on the bottom...you asked about bugs from underneath, so I assume on bottom. What was your previous method of sanitizing your pool...is there something you were doing in sanitization that might have degraded the liner? What was put down under your liner, sand, dirt, gorilla pad, anything? It could simply be weeds working through liner?

Most of the holes are in the area between the pool wall and floor. Previous method of sanitation was a product called EZ Pool in combination with liquid chlorine. EZ Pool was a granular product that I mixed with a bucket of water and poured in front of the return. I really did not have any problems with the pool, but the product became quite expensive over the years and after finding TFP decided to switch to BBB. I used the product for many years, enough that I can't remember exactly how long. I suppose over the years enough of the granuals could not have disolved and damaged the liner, but the kicker is, after opening the pool and replacing a leaking return line, and some filter leaks were fixed, the pool held water for two weeks.

Sand was put down on the bottom before the liner intallation.

The only thing I have added to the pool this year is liquid chlorine and CYA by the sock method.

I guess I was asking about bugs because, other than thinking the worst, it seems we can get a spot to dry up only to have it leak again, as if something is causing new holes.

My plan is to go back down, patch anything that remotely resembles a hole, and see where that leads.

Thank you for your help.

oldkayak said:
Most of the holes are in the area between the pool wall and floor. Previous method of sanitation was a product called EZ Pool in combination with liquid chlorine. EZ Pool was a granular product that I mixed with a bucket of water and poured in front of the return. I really did not have any problems with the pool, but the product became quite expensive over the years and after finding TFP decided to switch to BBB. I used the product for many years, enough that I can't remember exactly how long. I suppose over the years enough of the granuals could not have disolved and damaged the liner, but the kicker is, after opening the pool and replacing a leaking return line, and some filter leaks were fixed, the pool held water for two weeks.

Sand was put down on the bottom before the liner intallation.

The only thing I have added to the pool this year is liquid chlorine and CYA by the sock method.

I guess I was asking about bugs because, other than thinking the worst, it seems we can get a spot to dry up only to have it leak again, as if something is causing new holes.

My plan is to go back down, patch anything that remotely resembles a hole, and see where that leads.

Thank you for your help.

When you go back down...look for signs of plants growing through the liner. Where are the leaks in relation to the return line where you put in the granuals? I don't know if that is the cause, but if you can narrow it down it might help you to decide how to proceed. It isn't the seam between the wall and the floor is it. That is not coming apart in any way is it?

It doesn't appear to be the seam, but I will double check.
The leaks are on the 32' side of the pool, without measuring, the return looks to be about four or five foot from that wall.
The grass doesn't grow clear to the pool wall in that area, there is an area of dirt between the grass and the pool wall (weeds in that area got a bit neglected and grew long enough to lay against the pool wall), I dug the weeds back and just have the dirt now, but I will look for signs if weed growth too.

We have been seeking and patching these small holes for two more days now with no luck, either we are missing them or new ones are appearing.

At this point I really don't care what the liner looks like so my plan is to cut up the water bags and run long patches the entire length of the pool on the leaking side. I know a liner replacement is needed just hoping I can get the thing to hold water for awhile.

Nut grass... boy do I feel stupid :oops:
If that is the culprit I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner!

There are some weeds between where the grass ends and the dirt begins and meets the pool wall. Can I yank those out without causing even more damage to the liner or would it be best to let it dry up and use weed killer?

Once I get rid of the weeds and patch I guess I will know if that was the source of the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it's nutgrass you should be able to see tiny shoots sticking up through the liner. They can be very hard to see. They're almost like hairs. If that's it you'll need herbicide especially for it injected into the ground. Did you install the pool yourself?

No we didn't install the pool, it came with the house. We have been here 22 years and were told the pool was about 6 years old at the time. Four years ago I had a local pool company replace the side walls and install a new liner.

So far I we haven't seen any roots, will look again, but they might be easy to miss if they are that small, I have old eyes!

If you haven't had any problems with it in 22 years I'd be surprised if it's grass. It has me thinking that it's either the liner failing in some weird way or it's bugs eating it. UNLESS, the installers brought in some fill dirt that had the grass in it.

I don't think the installers brought in any fill dirt, but they could have I was not here the entire install.

Any way to determine if it is bugs, or just wait until I can replace the liner and have it treated at that time?

I have to wait on DH to patch as I am too boyant to go it alone :lol: It is approaching 90 degress here today so I think I will go sit on the pool deck and watch the water run out :(

I know on small patches I should round off corners and edges. How about a longer patch, I plan on rounding the short corners, but what about the longer side, can I leave that straight or should I cut more of an oval? Any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.