Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Making a vinyl liner bottom less slippery?

1. Back To Top    #1

Making a vinyl liner bottom less slippery?

I keep up on vacuuming my pool, the waters clean, still no overnight FC loss, so I don't think I have algae. But when moving about the pool, trying to play pool games, like volleyball and such, it's easy to lose traction. Of course, you're not going to move very quickly in the water, but I was wondering if there was something I could do to give the vinyl bottom a little more grip.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Making a vinyl liner bottom less slippery?

I like to run sprints in my pool, and as such my feel slip quite a bit. Reef shoes are one way to go...they have a soft rubberized sole that should not damage the bottom of the pool or the liner. But Other than that I don't know what you could do.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

I posted a similiar question recently. My water is crystal clear, I have the proper target free chlorine for my CYA level and I brush the entire liner often. Despite all of my efforts, the steps and floor are still slippery. This weekend, I had two people slip on the top step as they were entering the pool. I decided (after the pool was built) to install a railing at the stairs and I'm glad that I had it done.

Like you, I would like to know why the vinyl liner is slippery. My wife is convinced that it is not "slimy" from algae but rather it is "slippery" from chlorine. I hope that someone comes along with an answer for us.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm pretty sure 'Slippery when wet' applies here. It may just be the nature of the material. Cement of course is more porous, and therefore offers more friction. A friend in my pool wondered if the liner could be 'epoxied', but I'm not sure what he was referring to.

Perhaps I could get those traction strips that you put down on the bottom of a shower or tub.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Water shoes, Aqua shoes--------(whatever helps you cheat against the other team!) Make it funny.......have everyone on each team just wear one!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by poolneophyte
    I posted a similiar question recently. My water is crystal clear, I have the proper target free chlorine for my CYA level and I brush the entire liner often. Despite all of my efforts, the steps and floor are still slippery. This weekend, I had two people slip on the top step as they were entering the pool.
    I've had dealers install diving board griptape on the top tread of the steps for added traction. When you replace your liner ask for textured material for the step.

The grip tape may need to be re-applied each season, but it isn't that difficult to do.

I am convinced that the slipperiness is caused by algae--it doesn't have to be visible to be produce a coating of slime.

Also, I'm not sure the aqua shoes (or whatever they are called) are a good idea for the print on your liner. I've heard of them scuffing the pattern.
    Making Liners Since 1997
    Pool Liner Factory Outlet

7. Back To Top    #7

I've noticed that has happened to my pool bottom, but not steps. My chemicals levels are great, water is clear and sparkling. I think I've narrowed it down to when I use the 1 pound bags of shock, when I'm raising my cya levels. I don't know if that makes any sense to the experts on here, but that seems to be the case for me. Typically I use bleach for my FC levels.
    Carlotta (aka Clodda)
    Oval AGP 18x33x54 18,000 gal.
    Vinyl
    2hp Hayward Pump
    Sand filter
    BBB Method
    Jug Dumper