Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks, thanks, and more thanks!

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks, thanks, and more thanks!

Boy! What a summer so far. We've had our nephews over in the pool, 1.5 and 3.5, and they're learning to swim. (Now that they have a place to learn! )

Last night had our first 'non-family' cookout/pool party. Boy it was fun. The 'big' kids (adults acting like kids) had a lot of fun, and then as things got later, we just sat/lounged/floated in the pool (since the water was so much warmer than the air) and talked. We couldn't decide between having the light over the pool on or keeping it off to watch the stars as we chatted. (You could still see the bottom of the pool with just the starlight, a point a couple people noticed! )

Of course... this success, and the age of the pool, leaves my mind to wander about replacing it with a newer pool, perhaps with a deep end for diving...

Hmm.... time to save my pennies.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks, thanks, and more thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mkenyon2
    perhaps with a deep end for diving...

Hmm.... time to save my pennies.
    I hear ya. I see these huge L-shaped pools on the site and drool...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

You had a pool party and what, we're not good enough to invite?

I have a hard time voting for lights off or on myself. I've stayed out many a night star gazing while floating on my big float, but I like lighting the Tiki Torches and seeing the reflection of them on the water as well; helps keep the bugs away so we usually have those on at least some of the time.
    ~_~ Sherry ~_~
    24' Round AGP, 13,500gal, 1.5hp Hayward
    Cartridge
    TF100 Test Kit BBB Baby!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I vote lights off in general.

If there's a crowd, we just put one light on by the back door and it has an amber bulb in it. It's enough to lite the way on the steps/multi deck levels but not enough to disturb the 'mood' or impede the star gazing.

Amber bulbs are not always easy to find...they're kinda circa 1989...but I love them for outside.
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yea... Tiki torches would be just right. The 'pool light' we have is a 300Watt bulb. But the torches... that might be nice.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mkenyon2
    Yea... Tiki torches would be just right. The 'pool light' we have is a 300Watt bulb. But the torches... that might be nice.
    One of the features of my house left by the previous owner was a tubular christmas light set - all white - cable-tied around the perimeter of the patio cover. It works out really nice - no glare, diffused light, enough to see but not enough to read. Remember that after Christmas when all the lights go on sale!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!