Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First week - New Pool in NJ

1. Back To Top    #1

First week - New Pool in NJ

Well We finally finished out new Gunite Pool. Startup company come over and explained brushing, backwashing and chemicals. additionally he had some suggestion that I want to run past you veterans. Plis i have my own questions

1 -Been brushing 3 times a day for the last 5 days. My "Day 1" clean pressure stared at 10psi and I was back washing at 20. slowly my post backwashing pressure is now 20 psi. Is that normal?

2 - also, my water is crystal clear and I do not see any dust coming off as I brush. My pressure is remainig at 20 psi but my return pressure is still stong. should I backwash? I now havent backwashed in 2 days

3 - As of now I have been using mostly PH Down but have also added some algecide. When Do I add chlorine and start swimming?

4 - Start up guy recommended expansion gap caulking in place of my styrofoam the patio contract left in there

5 - I have very small bubbles comng out of one of my returns. Ive done a search and it seems most are due to SWG, but I don't have an SWG yet. I have N2 but havent added the mineral pod yet to the canister. Do you think I have a leak?
    Rgds,
    Dominick (Inground Pool Newbie)
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    Free-Form Gunite with Granite Ansylbrite Finish
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400
    Jandy Aqua link PDA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First week - New Pool in NJ

1) When you backwash are you adding new DE to the filter? It may be time to break the filter down and clean the grids.
    2) See number 1.
    3) You should have been adding chlorine since the beginning. If it's been a week you probably have the start of an algae bloom by now. Use Pool Calc and add chlorine sooner rather than later.
    4) I agree with the startup guy. Caulking is way better than styrofoam.
    5) Yes, you have air getting into the system somewhere on the suction side. The pump strainer lid is a common place for that to happen.

You should get a good test kit if you don't have one already. You should also NOT use the N2's mineral pak. You can do a search for nature2 here and find out about them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes - Im adding new DE each time I back wash. In fact I add slightly less then the equipment calls for. Im adding 5 lbs. for a DE60 which calls for 6 lbs. Can it be I need to clean my grids after oinly 1 week?
    Rgds,
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400
    Jandy Aqua link PDA

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick
    Yes - Im adding new DE each time I back wash. In fact I add slightly less then the equipment calls for. Im adding 5 lbs. for a DE60 which calls for 6 lbs. Can it be I need to clean my grids after oinly 1 week?
    Yes. Especially if you're loading the filter with concrete dust. You've backwashed, what, 5 times? That's like 2 years' worth for me!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Can't wait to get to that point.
    Im going to call the pool service tech to clean the grids. Hopefully they'll show me what to do so I can do it myself going forward
    Rgds,
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400
    Jandy Aqua link PDA

6. Back To Top    #6

There are several threads here about cleaning DE grids. If you're feeling froggy jump right into it. There's not a lot to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit