Installing SWG next week , want to prep pool water now....

Rescue30

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2008
New Jersey
I ordered an Auto Pilot Digital with a Sc-60 Cell, my pool is really clear and clean, but my CYA levels go sky high over the summer with use of Chlorine pucks. My Chemicla slevels now are :

FC-4
CC-0
TA-120
PH-7.5
CYA-120

I have dropped the pool water twice last week to the bottom of the skimmers (prob 1500 gallons each time), unfortunately I don't have a main drain . How bad is the high CYA level for the SWG ? I have stopped using pucks and am now using bleach , will the CYA go down on it's own ? How much water can I drain from the pool without anything happening to the liner ? What else must be adjusted before I start adding salt to the pool ?
THANKS

High CYA for a SWG is not as bad as for manual dosing as the SWG maintains the FC levels more consistently so the potential for FC to drop to the point where algae is a concern is not as likely. However, a CYA of 120 is pretty high and you would have to maintain a higher level of FC than you would otherwise and is not recommended. The TA is high for a SWG pool as the SWG will tend to make the PH rise over time and the TA of 120 will contribute to this rise. For a SWG pool the TA should be around 60 - 90 ppm. The rest of the recommendations for a SWG can be found at the pool school and here is the link:

pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

CYA won't go down on its own. When I open I use bleach until all the numbers get to the right levels. When you add the salt don't put the full amount in (3/4). Let the salt get well mixed and measure the salt level. Its much easier to raise the salt level than it is to bring it down. It takes a little time to zero in the SWG to maintain the right CL level. After the first year of setup and water testing its VERY simple to get everything going from then on.

to drop the CYA to 60 you'd have to dump half your water (16.5K gal). That would be quickest to achieve with a pump of some type (a transfer pump or submersible pump) or by siphoning if you are patient. If you did it all at once there'd still be plenty of water to keep the liner in place.

Ok , I think I'm making progress , I've dumped alot of water and refilled . My numbers are now:

FC 4
TC 4
PH 7.5
Alk 100
CYA 60 w/ TFT kit, 80 with Hanna test kit
SAlt is at 1400.

I hope to get the SWG in by Sunday, so I'm going to add more salt, how high can I go without the SWG in place , in case it doesn't get put in and finished on Sunday ?

Thanks

Ok, Almost Done !! Autopilot came Friday, actually UPS said it will come tomorrow , thankfully I got it early . Salt level in the pool is now 2600, I got 3 more bags to put in. I dd the plumbing today , how long does the glue have to dry before I can turn on the pump and filter ? Hopefully my Electrician neighbor will come do the electric today .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.