Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

solar cover

ok,.... new.... with the solar cover, how do you keep it in place, above ground pool.... wind blow it off even though it was sitting nice on the water, wind gusts up to 20mphthanks
    gary
    thanks
    gary

24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar cover

When the wind gets to blowing up here in the Tx panhandle we use gallon size zip lock bags filled with water & put it on the corners of the cover & it holds it down just fine
    12'x20'x48" above ground pool
    2000 intex cartridge filter w/intex swg

3. Back To Top    #3

If any part of the cover isn't completely flat on the water, the wind will roll it up and blow it off.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

We have some form of wind all the time here, make sure its flat on the water and also get a little water on top of it so it weighs it down some, I have had no issues and we have add some storms with 70+ winds here.
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame
    5100 gallons
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump
    BBB Bliss Baby!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Britmandogs
    We have some form of wind all the time here, make sure its flat on the water and also get a little water on top of it so it weighs it down some, I have had no issues and we have add some storms with 70+ winds here.
    ditto
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

I put our solar cover on and the pump return was making it float all over the place and bunch up. I put two clamps on it (clamped the cover to the rail) and it's staying put. Is it ok to do this? I"m using the spring type clamps.

Also I put one of the clamps on right over the skimmer which made the cover go above the water surface because it seemed like suction was better when the cover wasn't right in front of it.
    AG pool 18 x 52 (~8300 gallons)
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    pictures of our pool and equipment

7. Back To Top    #7

easy solution...point your return downward and slightly to the right (away from the skimmer)
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator