??? - Anthony Gunnite Pool Steps

Jul 1, 2010
Pittstown, NJ
Mod - please move this post if it is the wrong area.

I would like to add a handrail to the steps in the shallow end of my Anthony Gunnite pool. We have a family member that could use the pool with the added balance it would bring.

The steps are the typical three-level semi-circular steps found in Gunnite pools (I can post a photo tomorrow if needed). The question: Are these steps solid or a hollow shell that had Gunnite applied over a frame? If solid, I can put anchors in the bottom step for bolting a handrail and also anchor the 'dry end' with anchors to the pool deck. If hollow, I guess I could lower the water level (again!) and find some kind of epoxy to hold the lower (wet) end in place.

Thinking about it, I imagine there may be a better way I've not thought of. All inputs are welcome.

The steps are solid gunite. You would have to drain the water down some, core a hole(s) for the anchor(s), install the handrail (make sure it is bonded!) and patch the plaster. You could also install a "Figure 4" handrail in the deck, which would protrude out to the water but not create the need for draining and patching (you would still need to core the deck and bond the rail). The benefit of the Figure 4 is that you could remove it if you did not want it out (it is not easy, but doable) all the time, and then put it back in when needed.

S.R. Smith makes the handrails. I'll see if I can find a link later and post it.

You folks are mind-boggling. Not only a vast wealth of knowledge but instantaneous response to NOOB questions! :goodjob: :goodjob:

The Figure 4 looks to be the way to go. Deck refinishing is in the plan for the Fall so it looks like we will be doing it all at once.

Thanks a million!!!

We just got the exact SR Smith rail mentioned above for exactly your scenario (semi-circular steps to a depth of 3.5 feet). Here is the direct link...a little different than what was linked above. This one actually dips down so that the nose just barely touches the water. Great for folks who need a hand at the bottom step and no need to drill under the waterline.

http://www.srsmith.com/safety_security/details.php?id=83

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.