Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best ways to clean grease from a wooden deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best ways to clean grease from a wooden deck?

Things I've read online indicate that you can use cleaners and then suck up the stain with kitty litter...I actually did this for Tiki torch fluid stains on my gazebo, and it worked really well. But the gazebo is old and a darker wood, and I didn't really care about how it turned out. This is for my relatively new deck, which I do care about. The stain in question this time is bird suet grease. Anyone know what would be the safest ways to attempt first?

Thanks
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best ways to clean grease from a wooden deck?

Try Dawn Dish Soap. Works great on grease. I have used on concrete lots of times and it pulls the grease right out.

You might need a stiff brush to scrub.......put it right on the stain and then lubricate with water and the brush.
    18'x38' IG Vinyl Lined, 29,000 Gallon, Goldline controls, SWCG, Coverstar Auto Cover.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I'll try that. It would be AWESOME if I could pull it out with something as mild as dish soap.
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

4. Back To Top    #4

We'll see if anything looks funny once it's completely dry...but so far, it looks like Oxy dish soap worked perfectly! Thanks!

I'm so glad I asked before breaking out the petroleum cleaner and kitty litter again. That Tiki torch fuel was TOUGH.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmm, weird. I could have sworn the grease was gone, but after it tried for a day, it came back.

I'll try dish soap once or twice more (and try sucking it up with kitty litter) before moving on to anything more harsh.