Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there any downside to algaecide?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there any downside to algaecide?

I have some left over from the previous owner.

I know with perfect BBB, there may not be any need for algecide, but is there any downside whatsoever to throwing in a bit of algecide each week? Would it mean I could use less chlorine?

How about clarifier? I have some of that left over, too.

Thanks
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there any downside to algaecide?

I think the only downside is if it has copper in it then you have to worry about green hair and what not. Plus I believe it will actually up your chlorine demand as the chlorine will eat it too. Polyquat 60 is what is recommended around these parts.

I can't comment on the clarifier.
    17k gal., sorta IG vinyl, 1.5 hp pump, 21" sand filter, EZVac cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I'll check to see if there's copper. Why is there copper in these pool chemicals?! What is it supposed to DO?

If there's not any copper, I'll test a bit and see what it does to chlorine...I'm just nervous I'm going to get algae with high CYA.
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

4. Back To Top    #4

Copper is an excellent algaecide, that's why it's in there.

You can also get foaming from cheap non-copper algaecides.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh okay! I didn't know it had any value at all. I have dark hair, but will look out for my blonde friends

6. Back To Top    #6

Higher copper levels, especially at higher pH, can cause metal staining which can be difficult to remove. So it would be best to avoid the algaecide completely if it contains copper. If the algaecide is PolyQuat (ingredient is "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]"), then the only downside to using it is a small increase in chlorine demand, assuming you use it in maintenance dosage levels. If it's a linear quat as Jason described that contains one of the following ingredients:

Polydimethyldiallyammonium Chloride
    Alkyl dimethylbenzylammonium chloride
    Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride

then these are linear quats that can increase the amount of foaming and will also have a small increase in chlorine demand. When I refer to a small increase in chlorine demand, I mean small as in 0.1 to 0.2 ppm FC per day so not very noticeable.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Several of the linear quat algaecides also tend to result in bad smells for several days after they are added.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

OK...my algaecide (GLB Strike Out) does in fact have copper as its active ingredient. I'll hang onto it unless algae starts to pop up. I'm still tinkering around with how much chlorine I need in my unfortunately-high-CYA pool.