Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Our beloved 16yo sable rough collie, Laddie, passed away in July due to cancer. We really love the standard rough collie breed (like Lassie) and decided to search for a new pup. We decided nobody can replace Laddie in our hearts so we were not going to try and duplicate him, so settled on a tri-colored rough (long haired - yes there are short haired collies too called smooth collies) - First off, purebred register Rouch Collie breeders are not all that common in the US - I would have thought there were hundreds, but not so. We had a tough time finding one and secondly when we did, wow, spendy. Registered RC's were running from around $400-$1200 a pup - I think we paid $125 16 years ago for Laddie. YIKES. Anyway, here is our new 11 week old guy we are going to pick up tomorrow. Tentatively named "Finn" (alternate name "Riley" - I'll have to actually look into his eyes and give him a hug to know which one for sure.)

Attachments

• trim1.jpg
    trim1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 132
We miss Laddie so much its hard, but he was very ill and I could not stand to see him suffer. My husband I think took it the hardest - Laddie had been his older brother Dennis's dog until Dennis passed away suddenly so I think he felt he had a piece of Dennis with the dog.

We are all very excited for the new puppy (dreading the chewing stage a bit though!) Its been a LONG time since we have had to deal with puppy issues. Gotta say though that with a macaw in the house, chewing is a fact of life. He could eat an entire DOOR in less than a day if he got out and was bored and I have a friend who had two of her macaws get out and eat a LARGE hole in the hardwood floor!!! Puppy, bring it on!

Yes, that makes Laddie's loss so much harder. Your husband surely feels like an entire part of his life is gone.

Young Finn looks like he might give the door eating macaw a run for his money, assuming he survives puppyhood :)

lol, poor Laddie and our old cat were both terrified of all the parrots, even the little parrot, Mango. Mango is a little guy who thinks he's big and he would chase the dog! It was funny to see this little green and orange bird the size of a robin chasing the dog, but run he did! Laddie knew better than to bite and just wanted some peace! The cat would hide when the birds were out of the cages.

Here in my part of the world we have very hungry chicken hawks. Little puppies canot go outside by themselves and need protection because - I kid you not! - these hawks will swoop down and strafe a puppy. A friend of mine, new to the area, left her litter of Tervs out in the yard in an X-pen and two of them became hawk food.

I can definitely appreciate your dog's and cat's fear of the macaws. But Laddie will be a big dog some day and dogs do carry a grudge :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a cutie!! I love both names.....instead of choosing you could just call him Riley Finn. :wink:

Sorry about Laddie. It is hard to lose a "pet" (part of the family) especially when they've been with you so long.

Ack!! on the poor pups and the chicken hawks!! :shock: How awful. Though I have heard of that happening. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.