Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Taylor K-2006 test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Taylor K-2006 test kit

If I am understanding the instructions properly, for the chlorine test you put 2 dippers into 25 ml of the water, and each drop that eventually turns it clear counts for .2 ppm; or you put 2 dippers into 10 ml and then each drop represents .5 ppm.

I am running a high amount of chlorine and CYA, so I want to use just a 10ml sample to save time and money. But how come the dipper amount is apparently the same when everything else is scaled? Am I doing it right?
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about Taylor K-2006 test kit

You can do the test either way depending on how accurate you want to test. In most cases, the 10ml test sample will give you as much detail as you need for your pool.
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

3. Back To Top    #3

But how would the same amount of the dipper stuff be appropriate? I'm not understanding why that wouldn't change on a percentage basis, like the water volume and drop representation are.
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

4. Back To Top    #4

You just have to have enough for the chlorine to react. Extra doesn't matter. One scoop might do for low chlorine levels, but you'll need more for higher levels.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I have often wondered this. Every time I place an order with one of the folks at Taylor, I forget to ask about that business. It sort of bugs me because the beloved powder/crystals are rather expensive. However, to date, I have never gone by my own rules. I follow their rules.

2 scoops.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

6. Back To Top    #6

One way to look at it is that you have a lower maximum FC level that you can test when going by 0.2s. A lower maximum chlorine level combined with a larger water sample means about the same total amount of chlorine in the sample, so about the same amount of R-0870 powder required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    One way to look at it is that you have a lower maximum FC level that you can test when going by 0.2s. A lower maximum chlorine level combined with a larger water sample means about the same total amount of chlorine in the sample, so about the same amount of R-0870 powder required.
    I read this three times and still don't understand it...but if you're all telling me I'm going it right, that's good enough for me