FC 2 CC 17

Hi, I used Jacks Magic #2 (copper and scale stuff) to remove stains in my 16,000 gal gunite pool. They say use total chlorine readings because the stuff messes with FC readings. I did. After a month of no FC readings and plenty of TC, I became worried and called Jacks help line. I was instructed to keep adding small amounts of the 12% and free would begin showing up...not. Three weeks later, still no FC and TC going higher I called again. I got a better tech who said to shock at 10 times the now 17 ppm of combined chlorine. Looks like about 20 gallons of 12%.

My CYA is 30, TA 90, CH 380, No metal (I use super sequa-sol weekly for my well water). I know to lower ph to about 7.2. The pool is 80 degrees. Water clear, tiny bit of green algae in skimmer before a nice dose of poly 60.

Add a bottle of sequa sol and pour in 20 gallons 12% at night? I use the TF-100 test kit and thats alot of drops to insure 170 ppm. Do I have to maintain that level for a while?

Comments/suggestions appreciated!

Even in a gunite pool, I wouldn't go over 50 ppm of chlorine. That old times ten rule isn't right, It only kind of applies to ammonia, and even then it doesn't need to all be at once.

I recommend shocking to 20 ppm of FC.

Also, If the chloromenes arn't completlly gone, as in less than .5, when and how often do you recomend reshocking?

You know I soppose I am a novice, I have owned my pool for 12 years now and behind the lines I have learned so much from your site. I'm pretty much BBB and usually run a 3-5 ppm chlorine CYA 30 and have rarely shocked. Jacks got me! Thanks you guys for all you do.

Hey guys, I'm shocking, added 2 1/2 gals of 12% per calculator to raise the FC to 20. FC onky went to 13 and my CC went from 10 to 16. I added another gal of 12% per calc, and FC went to 17 and CC went to 24. I added 2/3 a gal and now FC is 18 and CC is 30. Put in the rest of the jug (1/3) and I'm going to bed. I waited an hour after each addition before testing. It's not what I expected....I'll keep the FC ppms @ 20, should the CCs be going up like this? appreciate you comments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CC going up like that indicates that the chlorine is chewing on something. My pool's only a little bigger than yours and I use 12% also, so without checking pool calc the numbers look like the right ballpark. If you have a cover, leave it off during the day, that will help burn off the CC.
--paulr

Hi guys, I wanted to let you know how things are looking. GREAT. After 12 gal 12% chlorine added many times throughout 2-3 days maintaining the 20 ppm target as best I could, it looks like we win.

FC now maintained 3-5 ppm, little if any overknight loss.
CCs .5 ppm, so good to be back in parameters.
TA 90, it dropped to around 40 at the end of the shocking, wow, interesting
PH 7.2+, it dropped to 6.2 at the end of shocking and I had to buy sodium carbonate, first time I had to raise PH. Crazy, I expected it to go up!

I removed and cleaned my Nautilus 48 once, back flushed once. holding good 2 lbs over clean (12 psi).

I found green algae on my navigator pool vac and hose. I leave the vac in almost all the time (with one of those bubble leave traps)due to the trees nearby. I won't any more, It was tedious work cleaning the coils on mostly the bottom hose. Algae also in the cone type adapter that attaches the hose to the wall on my pool, as well as the plastic return covers.

I hope this will help other readers feel better about taking on such an extreme pool maintenance action. No CCs!!!

Thanks guys and I hope not to be making any posts soon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.