totally new

rab

Jul 5, 2010
Ok new to the pool world. Just had a small 12 foot above ground pool put in with a SWG. I have no idea what to do now. I've added the salt and have a Zodiac salt system, with clearwater technology pg 7 in the manual says add salt to raise level to 4000ppm, which it is at.

step 2 says install the cell, what's the cell?

I also took my water in to be tested, no chlorine yet as i've not turned on the machine
fc =0
tc=0
cc=0
pH=8.2
cyanuric acid=0
salt 4400
alkalinity = 70ppm

need to get cya up, how do i do this?
what should i do next?
pool place recommended 1st adding 4 cups of alkalinity control - but your site says it's ok
2nd hardness is low at 80ppm - how do I do this
3rd - turn on salt system
4th reduce ph with 1.5 cups of muriatic cups

what do you think?
thanks

rab

I've read some of this stuff already but not this one
Step 3
Use the Pool Calculator to calculate how much bleach you need to raise your chlorine level to 6 ppm. Also use the Pool Calculator to determine what you need to do to change pH if necessary (if it's not in the good range of 7.2-7.8). Directions for the Pool Calculator are here: pool-school/pool_calculator.

Do I add bleach even with a SWG?

rab

rab said:
Do I add bleach even with a SWG?

I'm fairly new here, but with 6 years experience with an inground pool with a SWG. In my experience, you could get your chlorine level up with just your generator, but you don't want to.

Use bleach to bring it up to your initial chlorine level, and to shock when necessary. Use the SWG to maintain the level or make slow changes.

Having a low FC level while waiting for the SWG to catch up leaves the door open for algae & such. Trying to get your SWG to output more than daily maintenance of the chlorine level "eats" heavily into the useful life of the SWG cell. Two good reasons to use bleach to get you to operating level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.