Wood protectant

dorpo75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2009
NE Ohio
I did check the forum and site for my topic but didn't get any hits, so I want to add my 2 cents here about protecting your deck or other outdoor wood surfaces. Let me preface this by stating I do not work for or own any stock in the named product.

We had our pool installed about 3 years ago and built and installed the deck around the same time. As the timber was still "wet" we decided to wait before staining/protecting it. Well, the wait time extended itself (as it usually does) and soon it became 3 years and still no stain or protectant on the surface. :hammer:

I did a lot of research on the 'net and have been an avid listener of "At Home with "Gary Sullivan" and had heard a lot about the product "One Time Wood". It is supposed to last a minimum of 7 years and can last as long as 10 years given local conditions. It works by binding itself to the wood fibers deep into the wood, not just on the top surface. "One TIME® wood protector is a proprietary acrylate resin blend that contains no water, wax or solvents. The resins are cured by natural sunlight and become part of the cellular structure of the wood. One TIME® contains 100 percent solids, where conventional treatments usually contain only 5-20 percent solids"; (this was copied from their website).

The surface must be clean and free of all other products in order for One Time Wood to work so it is perfect on unstained/protected outdoor surfaces. I emphasize outdoor b/c this product cures in direct sunlight. If it is used on anything that won't get direct sunlight for quite a few hours a day, use something else.

If it is applied in temps above 85 (I believe) it can stay a bit thick and spreadability is lessened. As I stained our deck in stages (still waiting to finish stage 3) it was noticeable how much easier it was to apply during cooler temps. with cooler being around high 70's to mid 80's. In Ohio where I live, the hard part was finding 3 days consecutive with sunshine to allow it to dry!

It is expensive, but when I added up the cost of re-staining my deck every couple of years and the initial cost of One Time Wood, it was a no brainer for me. I only want to be on my deck enjoying my pool, not staining it every other year.

It is mainly available online and at select hardware stores. It isn't available in the big box stores as of this writing. Go to the website and check out where you can get some. It is really worth it's weight in time saved over the years. Here is the FAQ pg where you can find out for yourself about the product. http://www.onetimewood.com/faqs.aspx

Since this forum has given me so much useful information, I wanted to give back by hopefully helping someone else to save time and frustration at necessary but time consuming tasks.

I may be able to post some before and after pics. Gotta look in a crashed computer for those :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.