New Forum member

poolgrll

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2010
Chesterfield,VA
I can't believe after having a pool for 25+ yrs. how much the pool store has bamboozled me!!!!!!!! After having a problem this year with no free chlorine in my SWG IG pool I stumbled across this forum and now there is no looking back. I can't believe the discrepancy in the pool stores numbers and my numbers with my brand new TF100 test kit. Talked to a wonderful man on the phone the other day when I thought my calcium hardness chemical wasn't working or was old and he gave me all the info I needed to make a correct test. The pool company said my CH was 254 and when I tested it was 500. So right off the bat this website has helped me and the test kit has proved invaluable. Wish I had come across it before I dumped all that shock in there with all that calcium in it (had to be over 25 bags) They didn't know I needed to shock up to a high level because my stabilizer is at 100. Anyway, I finally dumped in 9 bags and that did it. Now I will only use liquid chlorine if I have to shock. Hopefully the CH and stabilizer will come down some over the summer because taking out a bunch of water now is not feasible. I retested yesterday and now I'm getting 375 for CH so I guess thats a lot better. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and I will become a supporter and I won't need to go anywhere else for my pool questions. Thanks again.

Hey, Poolgrll,

welcome to the forum :lol: . Your situation was really a problem but it's pretty obvious you are headed down the right path and already have a good understanding of what you need to do.

All of us here started out with the same knowledge you had but most of us were lucky enough not to have had a pool as troublesome as yours has been.

Encourage everyone who swims to splash out all they want and hope for some good rain.....that'll dilute thay CYA and CH. Keep your Chlorine up around 6-9ppm or so for the summer and your pool will stay clear.