Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic Gate Opener

1. Back To Top    #1

GTA Ontario

Automatic Gate Opener

Moving into a new house in mid-August and I'm trying to work out some of the security/pool safety details.

See attached pic.

[attachment=0:1brtoeia]97 Back1430.jpg[/attachment:1brtoeia]

The garage is behind the house and it's accessed via a single lane driveway that you can see on the right hand side of the attached picture. Once you've passed through the chain link gate on the RHS of the picture you have access to the garage, backyard and pool.

I'll be installing a safety fence from the LHS of the garage, across the yard to the opposite fence to isolate the pool from the rest of the yard/driveway. That should add a little more safety keeping my 4 & 7 year old kids out of the pool.

Regarding the existing gate, it meets code but it isn't very convenient. The current owners don't park their cars in the garage, I intend to. We're not too excited about getting out of the car to open/close the gate all the time to access the garage. I think an automatic gate opener/closer would make life a lot easier.

Does anyone have any experience with either Lift Master LA400 or Mighty Mule FM 352 Gate Openers?

I'd likely install a new gate, I'm not 100% sure an automatic opener can be used on a chain link gate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40,000L (10,500G) 17 x 30 Pioneer "Trinity" Vinyl IG
    DuoClear 60 SWG, Hayward TriStar 1HP Pump, Club Pro SM2506T Sand Filter, Hayward H-Series Heater, Deactivated Nature2 Purifier, Zodiac G3 Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Automatic Gate Opener

My neighbor has a Mighty Mule, and I'm not aware of any complaints he has. I'd recommend you get one with a battery backup, especially if your door opener has one. Nothing like coming home in a storm and having to get out and open a gate.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Western Pennsylvania

Re: Automatic Gate Opener

You can get mighty mule openers that work of a battery and solar if you dont have a way of getting power there.
    Im planning to buy a mighty mule double opener for my business.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer