LOST.. HELP!!!!!

Jun 30, 2010
Ok I have an Intex 16x4 above ground pool... 5500 gallons 1500 gph pump..

The water turned algae green, bright emerald green. after a week of fighting it I drained scrubed and refilled..

Well while filling I added 1/4 gallon liquid shock, 1/4 gallon algae guard and after it was filled I disolved a 1lb pack of shock in some water and added it... well after about 30 minutes or so I noticed the water was a nice dark blue/green ocean color and cloudy with a very nice thick soapy residue floating on top...

No pool store open so no real testing but the strips show the chlorine barely noticable... should I get some granulated chroline or liquid chlorine to boast it up.... I got the pump running and don't plan to stop it... I checked the filter a few minutes ago and the filter was a golden tan color... cleaned it and put in the other one I have...

any ideas would be great...

well my next question is is that with fresh water can it be filtered out and return clear after liquid has been added???.. I am going to run to walmart since they are open today and if no liquid should I get granules and just put it is water for a bit to disolve..

Katy Pool Dude said:
well my next question is is that with fresh water can it be filtered out and return clear after liquid has been added???.. I am going to run to walmart since they are open today and if no liquid should I get granules and just put it is water for a bit to disolve..

Walmart will have bleach.

Ok... 500 gallons of water and hardly no reading on the strips for chlorine... i have the tabs floating..

No stabilzer is showing either... I was going to buy some and hang over the edge in a sock in front of the return since there is no real skimmer.

anything else... i will be running the store soon... for either liquid chlorine or bleach..

Someone should be coming along soon to answer your technical questions. Bleach is the same thing as Liquid Chlorine only much cheaper and a lesser % of strength...good luck to you! It's going to take some time to get it sparkling...BUT it will happen if you follow the directions that the knowledgeable people here share with you....

I, personally have never used Algae guard ever, all I have ever used to get my pool clean is the Bleach, sound like it's going to take a lot of bleach to get it cleared up though. I think your pool is just a tad smaller than mine...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algacide causes foaming.

I believe it may also consume chlorine, but don't hold me to that.

Really high chlorine will bleach out the colors on test strips. Try diluting a sample of pool water with tap water - some bottled water would be even better - and see what the strips say then.

Are you filling from a well? That can cause colors if there are metals in the water.

Another thought to chew on is whether the filter was full of algae from before, and it just kept multiplying there in the nice warm, dark, stagnant water. In which case, LOTS of chlorine will be needed.

You're going to have to have your own test kit if you want to be in control of the water and not be at the mercy of the pool store wallet-robbers.

I am going to go buy my own test kit tonight.... I am going to grab some bleach too...After reading enough online I have discovered that to much Algae Guard can turn it green... so I am going to add a few gallons of bleach and let the pump run... I am guessing the algae guard will have to run its course... the filters I have are the ones from when it was green before but both have been cleaned and bleached... they look brand new and now are coming out brown from this water..I love making bonehead mistakes...

You'll need to use either bleach and granular stabilizer or tabs. You don't want to be putting tabs in the pool along with granular CYA because the tabs have CYA in them. Your CYA will get way too high and make it impossible to keep the chlorine level high enough to fight off alage.

Have you read through the pool school. That might help too.

The pool calculator will help you get amounts of bleach correct so you're not overdoing it.

well i just added 182 oz of clorox to my 5500 gallons.... I have a new 3 inch tab and a small chunk of the old tab in the floating chlorinator...

The pool is a nice blue/ocean green... the fliter is still a nice golden tan after about an hour of running... it hoses off easy and there is no sign of the green algae funk on it like there was before so I am guessing this is a discoloration from the algae guard... I am thinking 25000 gallons of algae guard in a 5500 gallon pool will do that.....

anyone else done dropped that much in before...

Oh yeah I bought a 6 way testing kit....

What kind of tabs do you use? Have you had a chance to look at the pool calculator? It is very simple to use and will show you how much you need to add or remove to balance you pool based on the current test results. There is also a section at the bottom called Effects of adding chemicals that is useful to understand what is going on in you pool. Now that you have a 6 way kit, use it and post the results here and we will help you get started balancing the water.

i will be using it soon... i just added the bleach and wanted it to mix in.... I noticed the water is moving good since the chlorinator is all over the place... so I am hoping the pump can clean it out some too.... at least I know there is no more algae in it....

well testing right after adding the bleach is not going to give me a good reading I don't think cause it shot the HTH test to dark orange and it stops a yellow... but the PH is 7.8... I will test in the morning... going to run the pump and clean the filter every few hours..

well the filter is still a nice tan color and after more research it seems that the water turning green after shocking could be due to metal/copper in the water.. I am guessing this is why the filter looks the way it does.. anyone know of a good metal remover for above grounds... going to to walmart tomorrow for an HTH brand since I doubt the pool stores are open and the kids are dying to swim...

Let's please stop a moment here to try to calculate what is in the pool now.

The 1 lb of "shock" product -- what was it? Was it dichlor-something or cal-hypo-something?

The tabs that are floating -- what size tabs? 5 oz, 6 oz, 7 oz, and I assume trichlor-something?

We need to know so we can determine how much CYA is already in the pool, for CYA can take a week to show up on tests. Need to know what is in there now before you add any more.

Also, what is the brand and contents of the algaecide? Some can have metals that can be bad when overdone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.