Pump quit

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hi, I am new to servicing my pool and have been referred to this forum. Among other problems that I have been having with this pool, the pool pump is now not running. It either failed to start or quit this morning. It is a Hayward Super II 1.5HP pump. Lately, the motor has been humming after it was started but the pump did not actually run. Sometimes I turned it off and on and it worked. This morning, the timer said that it was on but it was not running. The solar control panel's lights did did not come on either. NOrmally, one of the lights is on whether the solar is on or not. So I am wondering if it could be a blown fuse. I reset the main circuit breakers but still could not get the pump to start. The pool and the equipment are 15 years old. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

First, kill all the circuit breakers that have anything to do with the pool.

Then remove the pump strainer basket and poke around to see if something is jammed in the impeller. Empty out the basket, then put everything back together. Then turn all the circuit breakers back on and try again. If the pump hums, try smacking it with a rubber mallet. Don't use a hammer, nothing that can dent the housing. Just enough to shake things up, in case it's binding for some reason.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. I know I'd be pulling access covers and poking around with a voltmeter, but I'm not ready to try explaining it to someone else; I'm not that knowledgeable!

I actually did clean out the pump strainer basket this morning in between turning the circuit breakers on and off at the control panel. Nothing worked. It is dead. I wonder if it is getting electricity. How can I tell?

I have another question. Since the pump is not working and who knows how many days it will take to get a repairman here, what can I do to keep the water clear? I had it tested yesterday. The only problem they found is algae. I bought Phosfree and Power Powder Plus Shock to treat the problem but I cannot use it now because the pump is not running. Is there something I can do now to control the algae growth?

I took my pump off and took it to a motor repair place when it died -- it would take forever to get someone to come to the house! There were 2 places within 15 miles of home -- one said it would take a week, the other said he could get it running in a day (he owns a pool, too).

I am also having a problem with mine today, but mine's most likely the wiring to the pump. I ran the pump before the problem for an hour today and tested water -- all's good. I plan to swim in the pool. Later I will add more bleach, moving it around with the pool brush and also will add some water. If I need to, I can always put the submersible pump in that I use to pump the pool cover to move some water around. That's not the same as a filter but it's better than nothing, and the pool's in good shape for a couple of days I would think.

My neighbor's an electrician but is away for the weekend of course!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.